Mosasaurus stelladens tooth ?

Brevicollis

Hello, i am interested im buying this mosasaur tooth. It has an interesting enamel structure which i only know from Mosasaurus stelladens. Sadly this are the only pictures of it.

Is it maybe one ? Or just a positional tooth ?

Screenshot_2024-02-29-18-46-07-298_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-02-29-18-46-07-298_com.ebay.mobile-edit~2.jpg

Edited by Brevicolis

Are good signatures really that important ?

Atleast in the picture, this looks quite flat and blade like.

Given Stelladens tooth pictures, teeth are quite thick, so I doubt it would be one.

Also you should see tooth from every angle before figuring id, because at one angle it can look very normal, but very bizarre on another.

Edited by North

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

You will probably need more and higher-quality photos of the tooth from multiple angles to judge accurately. There are other species that can have ridged teeth. Assuming Stelladens is truly a distinct taxon and not just a pathology, I believe a Stelladens tooth should have characteristic serrated double-ridges on the lingual/inner surface but that is hard to tell from these photos.

Well, its not that important anymore, the tooth is already sold. I think i'll find some more nice pieces for my collection very soon.

On 3/1/2024 at 2:12 AM, Mochaccino said:

You will probably need more and higher-quality photos of the tooth from multiple angles to judge accurately. There are other species that can have ridged teeth. Assuming Stelladens is truly a distinct taxon and not just a pathology, I believe a Stelladens tooth should have characteristic serrated double-ridges on the lingual/inner surface but that is hard to tell from these photos.

I agree. Having seen only a couple of confirmed/unquestionable specimens, I'm still unclear as to the full morphological variety that exists within Stelladens mysteriosus. For that reason, odd keep a look out for the most undeniable characteristics, which is the auxiliary carina with crenulations and the V-shaped furrow between this and the regular carina.

• I found this Informative 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 11:50 AM, Brevicolis said:

Hello, i am interested im buying this mosasaur tooth. It has an interesting enamel structure which i only know from Mosasaurus stelladens. Sadly this are the only pictures of it.

It is Mosasaurus beaugei. The facets on this tooth are just particularly strong. 

• I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out my dad bought it before i could even say that we should wait for the opinions from you guys :unsure:

It was really cheap, so If it isnt that rare, it isnt a big loss for us.

Here are some more pictures of it.

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon, @Praefectus, can you tell maybe from which part of beaugei's jaws it is and If its from a hatchling, a juvenile, or an adult one ? Its about 2 cm in length.

IMG_20240330_111323.jpg

IMG_20240330_111225.jpg

IMG_20240330_111300.jpg

IMG_20240330_111311.jpg

IMG_20240330_111246.jpg

IMG_20240330_111210.jpg

Definitely Mosasaurus beaugei, but I'll defer to @Praefectus for an estimation as to where on the jaw this tooth might have sat. To me it seems mid-posterior. Also, size-wise this is far from the biggest these teeth get, and with little research having been done on juvenile specimens, nor mosasaur reproduction, and having seen smaller teeth, I'd say this is a juvenile and therefore neither a fully grown nor neonate individual.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett