SE Texas - What is this? Ulna? Calcaneum?

johnnyvaldez7.jv

I found this small bone today here in SE Texas on a river gravel bank. Pleistocene material usually found here. It is mineralized.  It measures about 2.5 inches in length and 1.5 inches across.  I thought ulna but from images I've seen online they seem longer in shape and this seems to curve outward at the bottom quickly like the bottom of a calcaneus bone. The facet part seems quite large in comparison to how thin it is. Any thoughts on it? It's pretty small. I'm still searching images to find anything similar... maybe someone knows what it is?

20240229_171730.jpg

20240229_171710.jpg

20240229_171642.jpg

20240229_171612.jpg

20240229_171733.jpg

20240229_171808.jpg

20240229_171835.jpg

20240229_171906.jpg

20240229_171921.jpg

20240229_171912.jpg

Screenshot_20240229_183545_Gallery.jpg

Edited by johnnyvaldez7.jv
  • Enjoyed 2

I don't know what it is, but something about it seems reminiscent of turtle.

@Brandy Cole I couldn't find anything turtle that resembled it. For me, it seems odd to have such a big facet for such a skinny and thin piece.  Side view seems like an ulna. The lines in the 2nd photo  along the side at the top are interesting.  Maybe tendons or muscles attached there? And I can't figure out the twist at the bottom? Where's it going? It's a small piece so I don't think bovid, horse and I'm not even sure deer. Maybe smaller.

You might want to check pelvis, where it articulates with the femur.

• I found this Informative 1

Doesn’t look like any calcaneum I’ve seen. I’d explore fossilus’ recommendation 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

I couldn't find a real good match, but my money is on the proximal end of an ulna, broken in multiple places.  But I wouldn't rule out the other suggestions (I don't think its a calcaneum) until I found a good match.

This is a mammal calcaneum.  I'll bet all my wife's money on it.  Possibly one of the ungulates.  

9 minutes ago, jpc said:

This is a mammal calcaneum.  I'll bet all my wife's money on it.  Possibly one of the ungulates. 

I ruled out a calcaneum because I couldn't find anything that had an articulation surface like the spoon shaped one shown here.  But always happy to see a good match as in many respects it does have the appearance of one.  And I know I tend to gravitate to the recent mammals as that is what I know more about, so I could easily miss a good choice.  And I'll put all your wife's money on that too!! :heartylaugh:

Edited by ClearLake
  • Enjoyed 1

dang it, I have to backtrack... I totally blew it.  This is an ulna.  

I'll go hide my head in the sand now.  

And I need to find more money for my wife.

• Enjoyed 3

I found this image of an ulna just to show how the bone below the facet seems pretty straightforward without much deviation. Alot of the samples online I've seen are similar. My subject bone has stuff going on where it was broken off. I'm trying to figure out what might have been there because it looks like it stopped continuing in a straightforward smooth direction. 

Thanks for all the help!

GridArt_20240303_114827019.jpg

I would be curious to see a picture of an ostrich with a long beard head in the sand ! :default_rofl: And pity for the money of B. ! Kisses to both of you ! ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Posted (edited)

I was wondering if these ridges are isolated to this bone and mammal or is this common among all other ulnae? I found one other bone online that had that in this second picture.  Still looking though. Facet "spoon" shape seemed similar also even with the wear on the side. And I think the flare at the bottom was maybe where the radius attached?

GridArt_20240304_211359684.jpg

Edited by johnnyvaldez7.jv

• 3 weeks later...

Got this response about this bone yesterday: @fossilus 100% correct. Thanks.

You are on the right track with this. A couple key points here: 1) those "ripple" marks are muscle scars, little ridges that give muscle something to attach to; 2) the feature on your specimen that you indicate with the red arrow is not the same structure that you are pointing to on the ulna you saw online. Both of those features indicate that your bone cannot be an ulna. Instead, this is a partial innominate (pelvis). The ulna-like "spoon" shape is part of the acetabulum, the socket that the head of the femur fits into. I am guessing here, but it looks like a deer or similar artiodactyl to me.  

• I found this Informative 4