Dinosaur Bone - Morrison Formation

Masonk

Happy Saturday, all!

I'm helping a woman to photograph her brother's fossil collection. Everything was collected prior to 1967, after which he left the country. He's still living, but not easy to get a hold of. 

All of these items have been sitting in storage since then.

I understand most of these may not be able to be identified. It's well outside of my wheelhouse, and I imagine many on here may be more familiar with material form the Morrison Formation.

I'm going to add one or two per post to make it easy to differentiate. 

I'm most curious about the first piece which appears to be section of a jaw.

If any additional photos are needed, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Label on storage boxes

IMG_7751.thumb.png.bf10074f7e525feaeae18db62c4bba30.png

IMG_7732.thumb.png.3158e399c4c7ee3b6216a30677e2374d.png

Some labels were included, but they were all jumbled.

IMG_7753.thumb.png.c7bb402faccc75e0c157b7620834ccb0.png

Fragments from the envelope. 

IMG_7818.thumb.png.a68b0bbae4b19509684caacc55e1f89e.png

Eric - @philly_fossil_collector on Instagram

I'm afraid most of these are not identifiable, not to bone nor to animal.  I see a half of a vertebra in 002.  Not enough there for me to tell you what animal.  010 might be a sauropod metapodial.   

001 is a jaw, but it does not look dinosaurian.  It looks mammaly.  There are some Eocene rocks in the area of the UT/Co border, so maybe it came from there.  

• I Agree 1

Picture one is indeed a jaw, but not from a dinosaur, it looks more like a mammal jaw from the White River formation. Picture 2 could be a worn down dinosaur vertebra, and the rest are for me unidentifieable bone fragments.

Are good signatures really that important ?

I'm sorry, I just realized I never replied. 

Thank you both for the responses! I thought ID's would be tough, and even speculative at best.

@BrevicolisDo you feel there is enough there to make an ID on the jaw? I tried comparing to photos of other mammal jaw fossils from the same formation. Shape of the teeth keep throwing me off since they're pretty obliterated. 

Is there a resident expert on the fauna from that formation?

Appreciate your assistance!

Hmm, i am not an expert on fossils from that formation. And i think the formation i mentioned is wrong. See that bubbly Thing there ? I thougt its a tooth, but it looks more like a mineral.Screenshot_2024-03-06-18-28-04-697_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.85eaff7be0b30061625d29fdf723415b.jpg

You know what ? I think someone else should try to identify it, i dont want to give wrong informations on things that i dont know properly. Happend to me today, and im still a bit saddend that i gave wrong informations. I help where i can, but now only on things that i know something about.

• Thank You 1

Are good signatures really that important ?

Mammals are easily identified by their teeth.  But this one is missing all the teeth.  : (

I think it is NOT from the White River Fm.  I have collected a lot of White River material and never seen botroidal calcite like in the above post.  Not knowing what formation or having any clue to its age will make it very difficult to ID beyond, "fossil jaw of a good-sized mammal".  

• Thank You 1

Hi,

I think that in the last image it is quartz in the form of agate or something very close. We do not see the characteristic break of calcite, which would be orthorhombic.

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, Coco said:

Hi,

I think that in the last image it is quartz in the form of agate or something very close. We do not see the characteristic break of calcite, which would be orthorhombic.

Coco

Thanks, @Coco I believe you are correct. Definitely some type of quartz. 

2 hours ago, jpc said:

Mammals are easily identified by their teeth.  But this one is missing all the teeth.  : (

I think it is NOT from the White River Fm.  I have collected a lot of White River material and never seen botroidal calcite like in the above post.  Not knowing what formation or having any clue to its age will make it very difficult to ID beyond, "fossil jaw of a good-sized mammal".  

That was my concern. I do appreciate the input! I've reached out to the sister to see if she has any info, or if she can get in touch with her brother. Fingers crossed he has some more info. 

3 hours ago, Brevicolis said:

Hmm, i am not an expert on fossils from that formation. And i think the formation i mentioned is wrong. See that bubbly Thing there ? I thougt its a tooth, but it looks more like a mineral.Screenshot_2024-03-06-18-28-04-697_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.85eaff7be0b30061625d29fdf723415b.jpg

You know what ? I think someone else should try to identify it, i dont want to give wrong informations on things that i dont know properly. Happend to me today, and im still a bit saddend that i gave wrong informations. I help where i can, but now only on things that i know something about.

Thank you again! You definitely helped go down what looks to be the right path. I was focused on Dino bone, and would have just run in circles.