Pigeon

• New Members
Posted (edited)

Hi, Any ideas as to what this kind of fossils either of these are ? They are from near Sites, California. I'm not quite sure the age, but based on the age of mudstones in the area, it should be late Jurassic to Cretaceous. Note this is form a bore hole (not surface collected), but I am not positive of depth.

Thank you in advance.

IMG_8616.thumb.jpeg.6253e52c262ae143d4a895a9871682c3.jpegIMG_8617.thumb.jpeg.9c30490bc3c8ad16a33491ef48b76fb0.jpegIMG_8628.thumb.jpeg.db829e90e81c9ed0bde16d82b83f17cf.jpegIMG_8622.thumb.jpeg.b692d1ab0a10172e354d946111352982.jpeg

Edited by Pigeon
Correcting photo files

These seem to be nautiloid orthocones. Nice find!

• I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Neat stuff! I think the last specimen is different, possibly a gastropod...

PossiblegastropodnearSitesCa.thumb.jpg.8118e80e314bb17d9baa5e938958c8e8.jpg

Do you by any chance have the counterpart of the first specimen and can show us that as well? I'm wondering if it shows the shell surface at all. I'm also intrigued by the small raised circular features..Is that an ornamentation pattern? 

PossibleOrthofromSitesCa.jpg.bd3afd49a6e2b3a55c262f6d9c306812.jpg

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1

• New Members
48 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

Neat stuff! I think the last specimen is different, possibly a gastropod...

Do you by any chance have the counterpart of the first specimen and can show us that as well? I'm wondering if it shows the shell surface at all. I'm also intrigued by the small raised circular features..Is that an ornamentation pattern? 

Regards, Chris 

I agree that it looks like it could be a gastropod.

Unfortunately, I only have this side of the specimen, It would definitely be nice to see. Those raised features are intriguing, thanks for annotating the photo. They had not really caught my eye before.

-John

Are the raised bumps possibly a diagnostic feature of a species or genus of nautiloid? Or perhaps a pathology?

You say Jurassic or Cretaceous.. these look like baculites.  The raised bumps are called nodes and are found on some species of Baculites.  Baculites are a late Cretacoeus straight ammonite.

• I Agree 2