Claw or tool USA

Mischief

Looks like Texas Georgetown flint or chert with a few spalls knocked out of it.  Possibly knapped but probably natural impacts. Neither tool nor claw, IMO. Hopefully, more reply.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

I don't understand anything more than flint lol! 

Not seeing a fossil here, but maybe tell us something more specific than "USA"

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looks like chert to me.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm not seeing a fossil or artifact either.

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Well I just looked at your profile, Mischief.  And Texas is your location. My guess on Texas Georgetown flint might indeed be right. If not it could be faded rootbeer flint. I have knapped many pounds of it learning to make arrowheads. 

I've got Texas in me from living in Mineral Wells, west of Ft Worth. 

Welcome to the forum. 

There's probably an artifact or evidence of artifact making not far from where you found that. 

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you SPrice. This was given to me when I was in Brazoria County. Now I am further north Cherokee County not to awful far from Fort Worth. 

1 minute ago, Mischief said:

17094276031117142841449188057369.thumb.jpg.1e9445a4d5dc6082f525185350036606.jpg

The shape on the "top" is what keeps me wondering 

Oh I agree with you on the shape of it.  It does have some finger/claw traits. Tapered, rounded sides, pointy tip...all lead one to think fossil claw bone. At the other end is sure evidence of a high silica content rock which breaks with conchoidal fractures = good arrowhead, spear point, knife or other effective sharp stone tool making rock. However the flake scars look natural to me...or if a human picked it up to test its tool making quality, it was a quick test and discarded. 

The natural outside texture is called cortex. Rind is another word for the dry crumbly soft outer covering of flint and chert nodules. Contact with air, moisture plus time creates a differential dissolving outer structure of a flint nodule. The cortex is slightly porous thereby softer and chalky. 

Steve

Edited by SPrice
  • I Agree 1

I'm trying to keep up. Thank you again for the input. I want to be careful and take good care of this. Is there a particular way I should display my treasure? 

7 hours ago, Mischief said:

I'm trying to keep up. Thank you again for the input. I want to be careful and take good care of this. Is there a particular way I should display my treasure? 

Since the first item is a rock, I assume you are asking about displaying the black arrowhead.:headscratch:We've always used riker mounts.  You can find them online in a variety of sizes.  

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Yes and no! The first item may be a rock to some, but it has value to me.... I won't ever get to see my friend again here on Earth. Please I apologize if I have offended anyone.

I wasn't offended, I was just confused by your response.  I didn't realize the rock was given to you by a late friend.  I'm sorry for your loss.  It looks pretty thick, so either a deep riker mount or something like a shadow box from a craft store are options for displaying it.

• I Agree 1

Fin Lover

Certainly your friend thought it special enough to collect, and now you are the custodian of that friend's treasure with all the fond memories associated with it. It is worth more than its weight in gold on that alone. :) 

• I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The black rock appears to be a tool like a scraper or knife or projectile point made of Rainbow Obsidian. This unique obsidian comes from two main locations. 

The western states of Oregon, California , Nevada and Jalisco, Mexico which is the current main source of it.

It doesn't occur naturally in Texas so if it was found there it probably arrived via a trade route from the closest source - Mexico. 

I have samples of 5 different obsidian rocks in my collection -  banded, snowflake, mahogany brown, opaque black, and  translucent yellow black.

I would love to see your collection. The more I can learn to me is always better!

On 3/3/2024 at 10:34 AM, SPrice said:

The black rock appears to be a tool like a scraper or knife or projectile point made of Rainbow Obsidian. This unique obsidian comes from two main locations. 

The western states of Oregon, California , Nevada and Jalisco, Mexico which is the current main source of it.

It doesn't occur naturally in Texas so if it was found there it probably arrived via a trade route from the closest source - Mexico. 

I have samples of 5 different obsidian rocks in my collection -  banded, snowflake, mahogany brown, opaque black, and  translucent yellow black.

Thank you. I don't believe he found it in Texas. If I recollect correctly it was in Nevada. He used to live there.

• Enjoyed 1

On 3/3/2024 at 7:50 AM, Kane said:

Certainly your friend thought it special enough to collect, and now you are the custodian of that friend's treasure with all the fond memories associated with it. It is worth more than its weight in gold on that alone. :) 

:BigSmile: