Fossils labeled as from East Bluff, California but not so sure if that’s correct

These were sold to me stating they came from the East Bluff area in Newport Beach, California. But research into fossils from that area comes up with late Pliocene material that doesn’t look anything like these. The serrated tooth is especially confusing. Any ideas? 

IMG_3407.jpeg

IMG_3408.jpeg

IMG_3387.jpeg

IMG_3388.jpeg

IMG_3382.jpeg

IMG_3390.jpeg

IMG_3392.jpeg

IMG_3396.jpeg

They look like a big mess, the tooth on the first picture could be a small theropod or therapsid tooth, the tooth on the second and third picture could be phytosaur or Spinosaurid tooth, the tooth on fourth and fifth picture looks like a crocodile tooth from the Tiuarem formation, Niger, and the tooth on the last two pictures could be a spinosaurid tooth from morocco or Niger.

Lets hear the opinions from other Forum members.

Are good signatures really that important ?

2 hours ago, Brevicolis said:

They look like a big mess, the tooth on the first picture could be a small theropod or therapsid tooth, the tooth on the second and third picture could be phytosaur or Spinosaurid tooth, the tooth on fourth and fifth picture looks like a crocodile tooth from the Tiuarem formation, Niger, and the tooth on the last two pictures could be a spinosaurid tooth from morocco or Niger.

Lets hear the opinions from other Forum members.

I asked the seller if he was sure about the info and the seller said they were all  collected by him in California around 40 years ago. Stating he remembers finding them while digging near Bison Street and Camelback Street. But seller made clear it was 40 years ago so it’s possible the seller mislabeled them. Seller is reputable as far as I can tell. He’s selling parts of his collection which is almost all California material that he found. Would be nice to see if there’s any similar material from California to compare to. But from my research this kind of material is almost non existent there. Saw a few records of some Mosasaur teeth and Hadrosaur bones from California but not much else. Maybe it’s possible the seller purchased or found these somewhere else and accidentally mixed it with the California material.

1 hour ago, fossilhuntr1 said:

I asked the seller if he was sure about the info and the seller said they were all  collected by him in California around 40 years ago. Stating he remembers finding them while digging near Bison Street and Camelback Street. But seller made clear it was 40 years ago so it’s possible the seller mislabeled them. Seller is reputable as far as I can tell. He’s selling parts of his collection which is almost all California material that he found. Would be nice to see if there’s any similar material from California to compare to. But from my research this kind of material is almost non existent there. Saw a few records of some Mosasaur teeth and Hadrosaur bones from California but not much else. Maybe it’s possible the seller purchased or found these somewhere else and accidentally mixed it with the California material.

Please keep talk focused on the Fossils, and not the seller.  Thank you.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

14 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Please keep talk focused on the Fossils, and not the seller.  Thank you.

I thought providing more information would be helpful. But OK. Thanks for your “helpful” comment. 

5 hours ago, fossilhuntr1 said:

I thought providing more information would be helpful. But OK. Thanks for your “helpful” comment. 

It wasn't meant to be "helpful" . 

It was meant as a caution.

You are not the one who will face lawsuits from sellers. The Forum will.  

It's happened before.

Feel free to PM people about the seller.

However, we focus on the Fossils, NOT the sellers on the open boards.

Posting about sellers on the Forum is a great way to have your topic removed, ... should we receive any complaints.

I hope that is a  more instructive answer for you.  ;)

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 locked this topic