Identification of milky quartz and zeolites from India

ntloux

I am hopeful that some of the mineralogists in the Fossil Forum could provide information on some minerals in my collection.  The specimens in the first two images were found in a box where packing consisted of crumpled up newspaper from India.  Image 1 is composed of what I believe to be clear apophyllite with pinkish stilbite crystals.  The clear crystals have a hexagonal trunk and end in tetragonal terminations.  Stilbite does appear to be an accessory mineral.

ApophylliteStilbite.thumb.jpg.aa6d1cdd4d0351776c275188b884406f.jpg

The second image also appears to be zeolites.  The greenish mineral on the lower left may be green apophyllite.  The needles may be natrolite or scolecite.  I have read that analcime is a common accessory mineral; could this be the whitish material?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MilkyAuarta.thumb.jpg.aab17e4851eb6ec9546814a79caef6e5.jpg

The last image is of white quartz specimens that were collected in Georgia.  One pundit states it is not milky quartz because milky quartz does not form crystals.  Is this true?  Comments/suggestions are very welcome.

Apophyllite-zeolites-India.jpg

Hi,

Ok for the first pic : apophyllite and stilbite. A lot of zeolithes from india come from Poona.

On your last photo, I have the impression that the little white heaps are the result of the deterioration of the transparent needles. They look like scolecite.

Coco

Edited by Coco
  • I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

14 hours ago, ntloux said:

One pundit states it is not milky quartz because milky quartz does not form crystals. 

Milky quartz crystals. Your pundit has obviously not done his homework. However, this does not necessarily mean that your specimen contains milky quartz.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/