Could anyone help with identifying these fossils found at Turimetta Beach NSW?

ParasauroLoafers

My partner randomly suggested we go fossil hunting at Turimetta. I've never been fossil hunting and I was surprised by how much we actually found. I haven't uploaded pictures of everything we found bc it's mostly just plant matter that I've managed to find similar pictures of in other forums. I'm curious to know if the rusty-orange coloured ones are anything. Was really exciting to find them when carefully splitting rocks in half!

There's also a tiny ball shape I found when I split open a rock and it almost looked like a tiny soccer ball or pine cone because of the lines in it. It didn't show up quite as clearly on camera sadly. 

And there's another rock with a cylindrical shape in the side of it. I thought that was very interesting so I took lots of angles.

Thanks in advance for your help! 

20240306_211328.jpg

20240306_211530.jpg

20240306_211608.jpg

20240306_211721.jpg

20240306_211835.jpg

20240306_212023.jpg

20240306_212200.jpg

20240306_212308.jpg

20240306_212409.jpg

20240306_212429.jpg

20240306_212529.jpg

20240306_212633.jpg

20240306_213131.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Youve got some nice fossils there ! 
I dont know what exactly they are, but they look like plant fossils to me.

The experts on this forum should identify them.

Edited by Brevicolis
  • I found this Informative 2

Are good signatures really that important ?

1 hour ago, Brevicolis said:

At first : Welcome to the Forum !:yay-smiley-1:

You got some nice pieces there. The fossil on the first picture looks like a partial brachiopod shell, the fossil on the second and third picture could be the split section of a belemnite/baculite, the fossils on picture 4,5,6 look all like plant pieces, the fossils on picture 7,8 look like fossil worms, similar to the worms found in the Mazon-Creek formation, maybe a Mazon-Creek expert can identify them. The fossil on picture 9,10,11,12 is definetly a crynoid stem, and the fossil on the last picture could be a small fish. I think the Mazon-Creek experts can help you more and can also identify them.

Wow thank you so much! I'll have to look up what all this means haha but that's so cool to know that I actually found some stuff! Really excited to look into it more 😁

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Brevicolis said:

At first : Welcome to the Forum !:yay-smiley-1:

You got some nice pieces there. The fossil on the first picture looks like a partial brachiopod shell, the fossil on the second and third picture could be the split section of a belemnite/baculite, the fossils on picture 4,5,6 look all like plant pieces, the fossils on picture 7,8 look like fossil worms, similar to the worms found in the Mazon-Creek formation, maybe a Mazon-Creek expert can identify them. The fossil on picture 9,10,11,12 is definetly a crynoid stem, and the fossil on the last picture could be a small fish. I think the Mazon-Creek experts can help you more and can also identify them.

This is a fairly well known  Triassic plant locality:s_confused:   Not much in the way of shells there, as far as I know. No crinoid stems there either. No fish. No worms.  :unsure:

Most of this is plant bits, with the first one being a bit of horsetail, I believe. I think the orange items are mostly iron mineral staining.

The cylindrical item in matrix is possibly an infilled burrow, but I can't say more.

Maybe one of the Aussie natives will chime in.

@Paleoworld-101  @izak_

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Could anyone help with identifying these fossils found at Turimetta Beach NSW?

@Fossildude19 Oh, oops... Im sorry, i didnt knew that. I just said that because from what ive saw on the pictures. Its really hard for me to know where the finding locations are and how old they are because If you Google it, nothing usable comes out. A world map whith all known formations and finding locations and ages of them would be a nice addidtion to the Forum, to help people who have trouble whith them. It would be very stressfull to make one, but it would be nice.

Are good signatures really that important ?

Turimetta Beach

Turimetta Head

You should be careful not to state ID's with confidence when you are not familiar with the location.  :unsure:

It is admirable to try to help, but we try to guide folks to the correct answers. Not to just give what we think are correct answers. ;) 

• I Agree 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

57 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

This is a fairly well known  Triassic plant locality:s_confused:   Not much in the way of shells there, as far as I know. No crinoid stems there either. No fish. No worms.  :unsure:

Most of this is plant bits, with the first one being a bit of horsetail, I believe. I think the orange items are mostly iron mineral staining.

The cylindrical item in matrix is possibly an infilled burrow, but I can't say more.

Maybe one of the Aussie natives will chime in.

@Paleoworld-101  @izak_

Ah okay I thought it seemed too good to be true that I found so much exciting stuff haha. Oh well. Thanks for the info! Yeah that would be good if some local fossil experts could share their knowledge 

1 hour ago, Brevicolis said:

A world map with all known formations and finding locations and ages of them would be a nice addition to the Forum, to help people who have trouble with them. It would be very stressful to make one, but it would be nice.

The information you seek is readily available in other places. You need to refine your Google searches to find the answers online.

Unfortunately, making sites public online only gets them destroyed or put off limits more quickly.

This is not something the Forum is willing to get behind, for that reason. ;)

Search of the Forum For Turimetta.

• I Agree 2

Adding to that, much of what we do involves poring over geologic maps and active prospecting. It can take much more time, and there is no guarantee of success, but if it something worth doing we find the time and take our chances. :hammer01:

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I've visited Turimetta many times and can confirm Tim's ID's. There are no fish, shells, worms or belemnites to be found here sadly, just plants and trace fossils. 

The first, fourth, fifth, and sixth photos are fragments of horsetails. Possibly of the species Paraschizoneura jonesii.

The orange stuff are most likely mineral stains containing iron. Pro tip: if a rock has a rusty or reddish colour to it, you can bet there's iron in there. 

The vertical object is likely a trace fossil (burrow infill). 

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

13 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

The information you seek is readily available in other places. You need to refine your Google searches to find the answers online.

Unfortunately, making sites public online only gets them destroyed or put off limits more quickly.

This is not something the Forum is willing to get behind, for that reason. ;)

Search of the Forum For Turimetta.

Well said.  

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

10 hours ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

I've visited Turimetta many times and can confirm Tim's ID's. There are no fish, shells, worms or belemnites to be found here sadly, just plants and trace fossils. 

The first, fourth, fifth, and sixth photos are fragments of horsetails. Possibly of the species Paraschizoneura jonesii.

The orange stuff are most likely mineral stains containing iron. Pro tip: if a rock has a rusty or reddish colour to it, you can bet there's iron in there. 

The vertical object is likely a trace fossil (burrow infill). 

Oh cool okay. So the orange stuff is just discolouration from iron and the shapes are totally random? The worm looking one is raised/indented in the middle shape idk if that means anything 

20240307_154254.jpg

20240307_153359.jpg

20240307_154216.jpg

14 hours ago, ParasauroLoafers said:

Oh cool okay. So the orange stuff is just discolouration from iron and the shapes are totally random? The worm looking one is raised/indented in the middle shape idk if that means anything 

Yeah, just discolouration, the shapes are not entirely random (depends how the iron permeates through the rock) but they are unrelated to the fossils. 

The indentation you're seeing is just how the rock has split apart (the way it broke), again, nothing biological/fossil related. 

• I found this Informative 1

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

• 5 weeks later...

turimetta head is formed from the newport formation, turimetta head fossils are just seagrass ferns leaves and fishtail palms and fossil seed cones