Best Glue for a Broken Meg?

FossilNerd

I went into my fossil room last night to get a little time to myself, but ended up finding a very unpleasant surprise. It seems that someone or something (I’m guessing cat or kids) knocked my Meg tooth off of its shelf. The resulting fall broke the tooth into 3 main pieces. The good news is that they fit together pretty well, and besides a few missing chips it should glue up nicely.

This Meg isn’t anything fancy but it holds a lot of sentimental value as it was the first fossil my wife purchased all on her own as a gift for me. I’d like to repaired it as best I can and so am trying to decide what glue to use. I thought about using a basic cyanoacrylate glue but I think that would be too thin and just soak into the pores of the fossil. Maybe a thicker viscosity gel type? Or… would some sort of epoxy be better?  Gorilla glue? Paraloid?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! 

IMG_3999.thumb.jpeg.4715cb21984868cef7892fbd8d161767.jpeg

IMG_4001.thumb.jpeg.009f00c8059966720006189d2cf368ff.jpeg

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Definitely no Gorilla glue! It expands when it dries and will look horrible!

• I Agree 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Agreed!

I wouldn't worry about the thinness of the glue. With superglue/cyanoacrylate, less is more. I usually ensure both ends to be glued are completely clean of even tiny motes of dust, apply a conservative amount of glue, and use clamps with padding to let it cure for a day. That said, I only glue invertebrates, so I'm not sure if the same would apply to meg teeth. Wait for a few more folks to chime in who have had that experience. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@Darktooth @Kane

Thanks for the input guys. :) 

I didn’t figure Gorilla glue would really be an option, but threw it out there since I have some handy. 

I’m in the same boat Kane, I haven’t glued anything except invertebrate material in the past. Superglue has served me well in those circumstances, but I have no experience with Meg teeth, or any other vertebrate material. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

cyanoacrylate should work just fine.  If you want, put a wee dram of thin glue on the broken surface and let it set.  Then use another drop to actually glue the pieces together.  No need to clamp... or, I should say, I never do for clean simple breaks like this.  But as Kane said, make sure there are no motes of fossil dust in the joint first.

• Thank You 2

I use these two on everything from grf fish to trilobites to oreodont skulls. The dap is a thicker quick set glue. the loctite is a thin glue good for seeping into fine cracks and stuff.

IMG_0797.jpeg

IMG_0796.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks @jpc and @Randyw. Cyanoacrylate it is! :thumbsu:

I took the advice of using cyanoacrylate and glued the tooth back together this morning. Specifically I used a thicker viscosity “gel” type. Regular glue would likely have worked fine, but I was able to control the application a little better since the gel doesn’t run everywhere.

IMG_4006.thumb.jpeg.b4418d8e55e5822d07ab3b54f5de5dcc.jpeg

Anyway... It looks almost like new. I can barely make out the crack that split the tooth in half (the gap in the root was always there). It blends into the enamel striations well.

IMG_4002.thumb.jpeg.fbeefaee2c1109cb228e79b4725d7016.jpeg

Besides a chip on the tip and a small fragment missing from the back of the root, I can hardly tell that it has been repaired.

Thanks to everyone for the help! I really appreciate it! :thumbsu:

IMG_4003.thumb.jpeg.20acc23e8001a50a92fe37caf3a6d8c4.jpeg

IMG_4004.thumb.jpeg.91e8f5743e7c0f0af079c7dc34b7da4c.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 5

Sorry about your tooth! Looks like a nice clean seam ! 

For all y’all doing gluing of sorts check out Bob Smith industries. I use the three thicknesses of super glue regularly. The thin is like water. Get is nice and thick. The insta-set is a must have too. 

https://bsi-inc.com

Jp

• I found this Informative 1

@FossilNerd That is the glue I use! 

I am glad it turned out good! :egypt:

Cheers!

James

Nicely done, Wayne! Congratulations on the successful repair.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me