Penn Dixie Ostracod Aechmina??

ClearLake

I have another very small fossil from the Moscow Group at the Penn Dixie Park in Erie County New York.  I believe this is the long-spined ostracod Aechmina, but I am open to other suggestions (trilobite piece, brachiopod spine, etc???).  This is very small as you can see in the measurements below (less than 1 mm) and is in the matrix, 

I have scraped away as much matrix as I dare at the moment and to me the lower edge in the pictures looks like it is a natural (unbroken) edge and is the end of the fossil.  I would like to expose a bit more at the top, where the hinge line should be if it is an ostracod, but have not dared to do that yet due to small size and potential fragility. 

@Acryzona has shown a specimen of this genus from the Devonian at Paulding (https://www.thefossilforum.com/gallery/image/57600-aechminajpg/) and Hall in a very old publication reported the genus from the Devonian of New York (the old drawing did not look much like this specimen), but I have not found any specific mention of it from Penn Dixie.  Any Penn Dixie or ostracod experts, or anyone else care to voice an opinion?  I appreciate all suggestions.

image.thumb.png.cc9ed48b56cac21a98b46e84395d82c9.png    image.thumb.png.d163628d6ec6b26b10167dfb4942e5d4.png

• Enjoyed 1

Treatise Part Q Ostracoda has an ID of Aechmina cf. cuspidata for the attached figure:  "...commonly with marginal spines or papillae".

image.thumb.png.4047c2187cf83eff1ee7e6125b17ec47.png  Looks like a dead ringer! quasimodo-smiley.gif?1292867659

• Thank You 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

37 minutes ago, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

This publication has almost identical ostracods from the same genus:

Thank you!  I had looked through the Kesling and Chilman paper on Silica Shale ostracods but had missed this paper.  Very helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

That is a beautiful find @ClearLake!  I agree it is Aechmina maybe choanobastoa species as it lacks marginal denticles.  Kesling and Chilman do not report it from New York.  That spine is wonderful, I have never found a complete one.

• Thank You 1

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book