Sanibel Shell Show

Shellseeker

There are frequently events to help tourists spend money.  The Shell Show certainly qualifies.  I went this morning. Here are some of the displays that I enjoyed..IMG_5341.thumb.jpeg.07e43342e9c621e6434257d235b0c9e8.jpeg

IMG_5711.thumb.JPG.8bf091d960a2cff02e6aa20e65b2c246.JPGIMG_5712.thumb.JPG.acfff5e5d2640495b07bd99988a57ca1.JPGIMG_5713.thumb.JPG.9a6614bc347540572f45739bf905f7d6.JPGIMG_5714.thumb.JPG.d8680255254ab1ce9491bbc32ca7ad02.JPGIMG_5715.thumb.JPG.9321850df3a6d026792fc6204c0116a5.JPGIMG_5716ce.thumb.jpg.67bb80307472429c61f3b53398495ba2.jpg

IMG_5717ce.thumb.jpg.b40ba33636166c69a9a815f70df223f7.jpg

Some from Sanibel,  Key West,  Bahamas, Morocco,  Senegal.... This sheller has been traveling...  A close_up

IMG_5718.thumb.JPG.780ce120965eb183ff20adae50f0a152.JPG

Sanibel and Fort Myers Beach took a direct hit mid_afternoon from Hurricane Ian. It destroyed 98% of mangroves (Black, White, Red) in the vicinity.  So far, only the Red mangroves are starting to recover near the Marriott.IMG_5719.thumb.JPG.4358f1c88d06fc6b0be01871e8ac4f75.JPGIMG_5720ce.thumb.jpg.98073b034c315ffdae604b817cee415f.jpg

I used to collect modern shells, now more of fossil shells and I do not buy shells anymore....

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 8

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Dang, my family and I just got to Florida today, so we missed it! Would of been neat to look around!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Fun stuff... I used to be into shells when I was a kid before getting into fossils, and I would have drooled over everything in such a place. I still have my collection but I got disappointed at how little provenance I retained for everything and how many of them were damaged either by my own handling or by the collector/seller who shaved the rough aperture margins on so many of the snails, so they're probably not too desirable to connoisseurs. :shakehead:

5 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Fun stuff... I used to be into shells when I was a kid before getting into fossils, and I would have drooled over everything in such a place. I still have my collection but I got disappointed at how little provenance I retained for everything and how many of them were damaged either by my own handling or by the collector/seller who shaved the rough aperture margins on so many of the snails, so they're probably not too desirable to connoisseurs. :shakehead:

I also used to collect shells when I was a lot younger. 

Nothing fancy, just what I found on the beach. 

When I moved country many years ago, I binned them all. :s_cry:

But if I do go on a holiday on the coast, I do still pick up the odd shell 

• I found this Informative 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Ha! I said, “that’s your winner!” And then saw the blue ribbon below the eagle sculpture. 

Thanks, Jack!!

Jp

12 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Yes, I collected shells on the Beaches of Long Island Sound and Cape Cod when I was 7 or 8.. My Dad used to take me and my siblings to Fossil Museums.... 

Any Country I visited ,  I would pick up modern shells,  Ireland, Germany, France,  Singapore, New Zealand...

Then I moved to Florida and collected thousands off the beaches every year... addicted , you might say... and then I discovered and switched to fossils about 15 years ago...

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

31 minutes ago, Balance said:

Ha! I said, “that’s your winner!” And then saw the blue ribbon below the eagle sculpture. 

Thanks, Jack!!

Jp

I really liked the Armadillo .. fossils and shells.... Note that it was created by someone from my BirthState... AND the Stingray.. 

There are "Blue Ribbons"   by Category !!! so many to go around..

• Enjoyed 1

On 3/11/2024 at 12:57 AM, Yoda said:

I also used to collect shells when I was a lot younger. 

Nothing fancy, just what I found on the beach. 

When I moved country many years ago, I binned them all. :s_cry:

But if I do go on a holiday on the coast, I do still pick up the odd shell 

I hope you didn't throw out anything good!

22 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Yes, I collected shells on the Beaches of Long Island Sound and Cape Cod when I was 7 or 8.. My Dad used to take me and my siblings to Fossil Museums.... 

Any Country I visited ,  I would pick up modern shells,  Ireland, Germany, France,  Singapore, New Zealand...

Then I moved to Florida and collected thousands off the beaches every year... addicted , you might say... and then I discovered and switched to fossils about 15 years ago...

Most of my good shells were bought for me by family in those days, but still no data accompanied them :Confused05:.

I've not visited that many countries but Florida seems like a shell-collector's heaven. But I guess even there you could start to feel like "been there done that" after a while.

6 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Most of my good shells were bought for me by family in those days, but still no data accompanied them :Confused05:.

I've not visited that many countries but Florida seems like a shell-collector's heaven. But I guess even there you could start to feel like "been there done that" after a while.

Back in the day,  I was a Critical Situation manager/ road warrior for IBM, and saw most countries from the inside of hotel rooms. Unfortunately, I did not think about smelling the roses along the way. 

I still like the combination of Modern and Fossil shells on a huge land mass. It is what brought me to Florida 25 years ago. 

21 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I hope you didn't throw out anything good!

No, it was just common stuff local to the area. 

Reading this thread has gotten me thinking................

Really don't want to go down this "rabbit hole" again :default_rofl:

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

• 3 weeks later...

This brings back some fine memories.  My family took a weeklong vacation to Sanibel when I was a teen.  We spent countless hours picking up shells, with the only breaks being meals and dips in the ocean to cool off. We brought back a brown paper shopping bag (the big kind) full of shells!

I still remember the wildlife refuge with the funny name (no mean feat 40 years later, lol): Ding Darling.

Thank you so much for posting!

• Enjoyed 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana