Ichthyosaur vertebrae

M3gal0don_M4n

About 3 months ago I bought an Ichthyosaur vertebrae, and I was wondering as to whether it is real or just a strangely shaped rock. I did notice there are things that appear to be stones in the side of it, but I think that is remaining sediment. I’ll try and get more photos if this image is not clear enough.IMG_0108.thumb.jpeg.55c53edda280c1c281312eea9ee30a4c.jpeg

Signature goes here.

I would more vote for yes then no.

But, could you please post some pics from the sides and the back? Thanks

I would more vote for yes then no.

But, could you please post some pics from the sides and the back? Thanks

ooop, net was away and after coming back a double post :zzzzscratchchin:. Sorry

Edited by rocket

Ichthyosaur vertebrae sometimes do weather away like this, and I do see vascularisation, which is indicative of bone. So, yeah, this does look like a very worn ichthyosaur vertebra to me. The label, I think, is incorrect, though, as this type of preservation, to my knowledge, does not occur at Lyme Regis, nor is it Upper Jurassic there. Kimmeridgian of Abingdon seems more likely...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

10 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Ichthyosaur vertebrae sometimes do weather away like this, and I do see vascularisation, which is indicative of bone. So, yeah, this does look like a very worn ichthyosaur vertebra to me. The label, I think, is incorrect, though, as this type of preservation, to my knowledge, does not occur at Lyme Regis, nor is it Upper Jurassic there. Kimmeridgian of Abingdon seems more likely...

Yeah, either there or dredged from Weymouth harbour (also Kimmeridgian) would be my guess. Definitely not Lyme Regis. 

• I Agree 1

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Thanks. I thought it was, I just wasn’t too sure.

Signature goes here.

1 hour ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Yeah, either there or dredged from Weymouth harbour (also Kimmeridgian) would be my guess. Definitely not Lyme Regis. 

Actually, Weymouth sounds much more reasonable for this specimen... Good one!

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Thanks. I thought it was, I just wasn’t completely sure.

Signature goes here.