Another Shark in Madison, Wisconsin, USA?

Troutmask

This ia an object I found on a gravel path on the southern shore of Lake Mendota in Madison, Wisc. I always thought it was a fossilized shark tooth, but after finding this discussion, I'm not as convinced as I once was. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

Well,  

I do not blame you for thinking that it was the broken corner of a Meg with a bourlette separating the root and space where enamel used to exist... 

Hopefully , some one can provide a more reasonable possibility for the shape and texture of this fossil... but not me...   might just be unidentifiable bone... so unsatisfying

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks for your input. I now know what a bourlette is. You're never too old to learn something new. Thanks. I am looking forward to reading other's opinions.

Split out into it's own topic.   ;) 

Originally posted HERE.

More eyes on a fresh topic.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If that's not a meg fragment it's the best look-alike I have ever seen. Being on the east coast, I have seen plenty of worn megs with the enamel worn off and the "scar" where the bourlette used to be and they look exactly like yours. I am convinced this is a meg. How it got there is the question.

• I Agree 4

Hello,

I found a few of these myself, most likely in the same general area.  I was told that it did look like a Meg piece, but no guarantee.  There’s a lot of different glacier sediment throughout the state and many have things have been discovered that didn’t originate from our locale.  I would suggest reaching out to the geological museum in Madison, they have helped me with a few odd pieces in the past.  It’s a cool piece for sure,

Regards,

Mike