Aust (UK) query: jaw bone

Ashley Coates

Hi all

Grateful for any ideas on this. Found at Aust cliffs, Westbury Bone Formation. Assumed to be a fish (poss reptile) jaw bone. My working assumption is it is either Gyrolepis albertii or Severnichthys acuminatus or one of the (six?) other bony fish taxa from this part of the world. Have quite a few other bits to ID soon too!

I hope the images line up. The teeth get smaller as the rock, and bone, narrows, and line up where the rock has broken [due to falling from the cliff - not me!]. The appear to curve inwards. To me they look more Gyrolepis but I have never handled a jaw bone from the fish here so not too sure. Bone seems quite thick to me. 

Thank you,

Ashley

aust_coates_all_2.jpg

aust_coates_ middle_front.jpg

aust_coates_front_back.jpg

aust_coates_middle_back.jpg

aust_coates_all.JPG

aust_coates_back.jpg

aust_coates_back_front.jpg

Ashley, Ben here.

You might already have considered this yourself, but if all else fails, you could possibly contact Mike Benton at Bristol.

This should definitely be prepare by a professional.

Not sure you can say much without it being prepared.

Google "Fossil Preparation in the UK".

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

you're gong with those two taxa on probabilistic grounds ( which is not entirely unreasonable ) ?

de Lange B, Chenal E,  Diependaal HJ, and Reumer JWF. Fish remains  from the Rhaetian (Late Triassic) of
Winterswijk, the Netherlands (Pisces: Chondrichthyes and Actinopterygii).
Netherlands Journal of Geosciences,

Volume
102, e10. https://doi.org/10.1017/njg.2023.10

take a look at fig 6

fish_remains_from_the_rhaetian_late_triassic_of_winterswijk_the_netherlands_pisces_chondrichthyes_and_actinopterygii (1).pdf

whatever it is... there is something cool in there.  

I agree that it needs professional attention.  

• I Agree 1

Hi all, thank you so much for your input. I am increasingly querying if it is Blue Lias (Early Jurassic) rather than Westbury Formation (Late Triassic) but still largely convinced it is a fish - despite the range of rarer options that are fun to consider! Most of what I have from this site is from the Westbury Formation. Agree it needs preparation by a professional, which I will facilitate and I have sent the images to Mike Benton - who I think gets sent a lot of this stuff.

By way of an update: this is now thought to be an ichthyosaur from the Lower Lias, tbc depending on prep work. 

• Enjoyed 1