Machine learning identifies possible Deltadromeus tooth

BirdsAreDinosaurs

By combining several analytical methods, including machine learning, to assess the diversity of a collection of theropod teeth from the Kem Kem beds, researchers found a tooth that could possibly be assigned to Deltadromeus agilis.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02724634.2024.2311791

https://www.uu.nl/en/news/higher-carnivorous-dinosaur-biodiversity-of-famous-kem-kem-beds-morocco

• I found this Informative 4

Thanks!
The paper is a pretty good read. Interesting that there seems to be a small Noasaurid present in the Kem Kem next to the larger Deltadromeus.

However, they only recover one tooth to possibly be from a Noasaurid. Still, the presence of transverse undulations on these teeth is a good thing to keep in mind.
Hendrickx identified two teeth in my collection as possible Noasaurid also based on this feature a few years back.

Where are the Kem Kem Dromaeosaur teeth though? ;)

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JoeS said:

Thanks!
The paper is a pretty good read. Interesting that there seems to be a small Noasaurid present in the Kem Kem next to the larger Deltadromeus.

However, they only recover one tooth to possibly be from a Noasaurid. Still, the presence of transverse undulations on these teeth is a good thing to keep in mind.
Hendrickx identified two teeth in my collection as possible Noasaurid also based on this feature a few years back.

Where are the Kem Kem Dromaeosaur teeth though? ;)

The sample size is very small, and dromaeosaurid-like teeth are relatively rare. I wish someone would do a similar analysis with a much larger sample size, perhaps in collaboration with collectors or fossil dealers. Sticking to small museum collections like this one seems unnessary limiting, especially when the provenance of the teeth in the collections are not very clear, like in this case.

Funnily enough, I think the tooth they describe as a possible Deltadromeus tooth is one of those teeth that are regularly sold as… Deltadromeus teeth. I checked a couple of mine, which I had already labeled as possible noasaurid teeth, and they also have the undulations and a similar base shape.

Perhaps some of the dromaeosaurid-like teeth in fact belong to this smaller noasaurid?

Edited by BirdsAreDinosaurs

15 hours ago, BirdsAreDinosaurs said:

Perhaps some of the dromaeosaurid-like teeth in fact belong to this smaller noasaurid?

Almost certainly, I was really hoping for more insights into those small non-Abelisaurid teeth, maybe next paper then!