Mosasaur vertebrae

Hello, all.

I browsing online on online auction site and came across these “Mosasaur vertebrae.” They are in a set, and are fairly expensive to me, as I only get pocket money. I was clarifying to see as to whether they are real. They have been around a bit, so I am not sure as to whether that is a bad sign or not. I can upload more images if needed.

IMG_1609.jpeg

Edited by M3gal0don_M4n
Misnamed where I found them.

Signature goes here.

These look like small Moroccan mosasaur verts.

Seem real to me, I don't think they'd fake little ones like this as they are so common.

• I Agree 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Do you know the species?

Signature goes here.

:shrug:Nope.

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Im not so familiar with vertebrae, but I believe it would be good to see better pictures, also from side view so you are able to see overall shape. Size might help.

There is also plesiosaur Zarafasaura which vertebrae are sold, so its vertebrae could be there too.

Between mosasaur species, Im not sure can you tell species from isolated vertebrae, but someone knows better than I do.

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

Out of interest, what Mosasaurs have been found in Morocco?

Signature goes here.

6 hours ago, M3gal0don_M4n said:

Do you know the species?

not possible to say what species they are from. Only with vertebraes (they look real to me) it is only possible to say "Mosasaur" or "Plesiosaur" or..., not more

• I Agree 2

57 minutes ago, rocket said:

not possible to say what species they are from. Only with vertebraes (they look real to me) it is only possible to say "Mosasaur" or "Plesiosaur" or..., not more

The photo is blurry but it looks like they are at least mostly mosasaur verts. The caudal vertebrae can be separated to the level of subfamily (Russellosaurinae vs. Mosasaurinae/Halisaurinae) based on if the chevrons are fused or not. You might be able to tentatively identify a few other verts depending on how well the processes are attached and how well-preserved the few diagnostic vertebral characters are.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1