American Mosasaurs - Information needed

North

4 hours ago, Praefectus said:

Sorry, that was intended to be humorous. I'm poking fun at the fact that mosasaur researchers are notorious for not getting along. Read 10 papers and you'll find 10 different systems of anatomical terminology. There really isn't a good single paper that reviews dental terminology. 

On a more serious note, reading the totality of the literature probably IS the best method for learning these sorts of things. You'll find that while early pre-Russell '67 authors are all over the place, patterns to anatomical definitions start emerge with Lingham-Soliar in the 90s, Lindgren and Siverson in the 00s, and Bardet throughout the 2010s. But even then, caution is needed because the latter two's terminology changes between their earlier publications and their later ones (i.e., "striated" vs. "lineated", "granular" vs. "beaded", "anastomosis" vs "wrinkled" vs "thickened"... etc.). 

I often default to using definitions as described in Bardet et al., 2015, but Hornung and Reich, 2015 has the most terminological definitions for enamel ornamentation. Alternatively, Palci, Caldwell, and Fornaciari 2014 was fairly straightforward until the definitions were changed again in the 2021 paper you first showed. 

My bad- hard to understand through text at times when you don’t know the person irl. Appreciate the response 🤙

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg