Spinosaurus toe bone real ?

Hello, i have this toe bone labeled as spinosaurus in my collection. But it seems kinda suspicious to me. Theres definitly real bone that matches the form, but some areas look like plaster or still covered whith a layer of matrix. Is it real and bad preserverd, 50/50, or a complete fake ? And is it even Spinosaurus ? Because Spinosaurus toe bones are very flat compared to this one.

IMG_0617.jpeg

IMG_0618.jpeg

IMG_0620.jpeg

IMG_0621.jpeg

IMG_0623.jpeg

Are good signatures really that important ?

The ends almost look reminiscent of the many carvings you can find online. It does not look like any foot bone I've seen or can find online. Perhaps @Phos_01 might have some input as I know @Phos_01 is familiar with claws.

Edited by FB003
  • Thank You 1

*Frank*

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 6:45 PM, FB003 said:

The ends almost look reminiscent of the many carvings you can find online. It does not look like any bone in the foot I can find online.

Yes, i agree. But there is definetly some real bone inside. See that increase ? The ends Look like plaster, but the middle part is definetly real bone. Maybe it was found incomplete and the ends we're formed to let it look complete. I think its 50/50 for that bone. Lets hear the opinions from other Forum members.

Edited by Brevicolis

Sorry, but completely fake and a very bad one at that. Carved and constructed from real bone and matrix Morphology looks nowhere like a Spinosaur phalanx. 

• I Agree 4

I agree with @Daze, full carving from a bone

do come up often on the market, some creative persons in morocco :D

• I Agree 1

Thats kinda sad. This bone was one of the first fossils in my collection, ive had it for so many years and loved it, and now it turns out to be fake ! That hits hard. Having a fossil for so many years, building a bond whith it, and now that. Well, at least i have still a complete original toe bone from it. But does anyone know, how to handle whith it ? Its mostly fake, but i dont want to throw it away, because theres still some real bone inside.

With no way of knowing what that real bone is that makes up the carving, it falls into the category of chunkosaurus as they call it.  

If you have had it that long and you don't want to pass it along to someone else that is perhaps starting to build an interest in this field such as a little kid (identifying it properly of course), I'd say just keep it.  A chunkosaur can be just as valuable as anything else especially if its one of the first you've had.  The only difference is you have a better understanding of it.

• I Agree 1

*Frank*

Hi, this is a cast, you can see tiny bubbles , and carved from a piece of stone, very poorly done. 

100 % pass on this (edit I just read that you already own it. This can happen, we have all bought fossils we regret, educating ourself trough mediums like this forum is key to buy good stuff, don't buy unless you are sure, otherwise try to post them here firstly ) 

Here is a real one from my collection, with just a little resto on the top back end.

Edited by Phos_01
  • Enjoyed 1

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, Phos_01 said:

Hi, this is a cast, you can see tiny bubbles , and carved from a piece of stone, very poorly done. 

100 % pass on this (edit I just read that you already own it. This can happen, we have all bought fossils we regret, educating ourself trough mediums like this forum is key to buy good stuff, don't buy unless you are sure, otherwise try to post them here firstly ) 

Here is a real one from my collection, with just a little resto on the top back end.

69b40bfdce3a4e308e996659aaba69cf.MOV 6.78 MB · 2 downloads

Nice one ! Heres my other, mostly REAL one !

About 75% of it are real.

IMG_0682.jpeg

IMG_0683.jpeg

IMG_0684.jpeg

IMG_0685.jpeg

IMG_0686.jpeg

IMG_0687.jpeg

Edited by Brevicolis
Forgot to attache the photos

16 minutes ago, Brevicolis said:

Nice one ! Heres my other, mostly REAL one !

About 75% of it are real.

Yes this is beter, you can see bone structure here, and some repairs. Some resto has been done at the top