Black shark tooth identification

Pam K

Thank you for adding me.

I hope this is the correct place to add this photo and request assistance.

I was given these teeth and need help to identify them. Any help is appreciated.

1710699264746525454693494491822.thumb.jpg.bee93ded7b6340eb6ff775419aed3ae4.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Without individual photos this is tricky to answer because there’s no real reference point for responding so next time try to at least group them together. 

Hopefully the Shark experts will have complete information but this will get you started. Welcome!

Jp

Your top row looks like fragments and semi complete Megladon teeth. Possible a great white or mako mixed in but from the sides you’re showing they all look serrated so probably all Megs. Second opinion definitely needed with those. 

The ones that look like these are Hemipristis Serra or “Hemis”. These are upper teeth. They have serrations and a ridge or bump that gives them away. The lowers look completely different. 

(Edit: I I proofed my response I decided the upper right panel could be a worn Hemi or a tiger shark. )

07D73AF0-F043-4E8F-B9D7-2A90FE3C5018.thumb.jpeg.f8d7e73456470ec6f7351eb0e463a936.jpeg

In this group the far left is a Bull Shark. I’m not sure of which species. The center and right grids are e tiny sand tiger sharks. The tiny barns are important for identification. If the right panel has no barbs it could be a lower Hemi Serra. These appear to both be sand tiger shark. 
C255EB7D-880A-4FA5-A05B-E602286C2001.thumb.jpeg.795bc9314239a5ff7627d0ae23113349.jpeg

Edited by Balance

Sorry, I don't know enough about the teeth to even know how to group them.

No apologies!  My first ID request I literally put up every unknown in my collection. 😂😂

Jp

For ease of ID, it's helpful to number items when you have so many fossils in one post. It's also good practice to always include a ruler for scale and information on where fossils were found for proper ID. Finally, including photos of both of the flat sides of shark teeth is also helpful (and sometimes other angles as well). That said, these teeth appear to pretty common species and at least mostly identifiable. I've labeled the different species with letters.

A = Otodus megalodon

B = Carcharodon carcharias (great white)

C = Galeocerdo sp., possibly G. cuvier (tiger shark)

D = Hemipristis serra (snaggletooth shark)

E = Carcharhinus sp. (gray/requiem sharks); it's possible some of the narrower cusped teeth are lemon sharks (Negaprion sp.) instead, but I think they're Carcharhinus sp. lowers

F = Sand tigers, possibly Carcharias sp. (a couple of these are very fragmentary and thus best guesses)

G = looks like I skipped over the label "G" :ighappy:

H = Perhaps Isurus sp. (mako shark) or Carcharodon hastalis (white shark)

1710699264746525454693494491822.jpg.e5a6d00eddd1cf35ae10dcada224a25d.thumb.jpg.d776a41f2f9a4891b16351be42518c28.jpg

Edited by bthemoose
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Balance said:

No apologies!  My first ID request I literally put up every unknown in my collection. 😂😂

Jp

2 minutes ago, bthemoose said:

For ease of ID, it's helpful to number items when you have so many fossils in one post. It's also good practice to always include a ruler for scale and information on where fossils were found for proper ID. Finally, including photos of both of the flat sides of shark teeth is also helpful (and sometimes other angles as well). That said, these teeth appear to pretty common species and at least mostly identifiable. I've labeled the different species with letters.

A = Otodus megalodon

B = Carchardon carcharias (great white)

C = Galeocerdo sp., possibly G. cuvier (tiger shark)

D = Hemipristis serra (snaggletooth shark)

E = Carcharhinus sp. (gray/requiem sharks); it's possible some of the narrower cusped teeth are lemon sharks (Negaprion sp.) instead, but I think they're Carcharhinus sp. lowers

F = Sand tigers, possibly Carcharias sp. (a couple of these are very fragmentary and thus best guesses)

G = looks like I skipped over the label "G" :ighappy:

H = Perhaps Isurus sp. (mako shark) or Carchodon hastalis (white shark)

1710699264746525454693494491822.jpg.e5a6d00eddd1cf35ae10dcada224a25d.thumb.jpg.d776a41f2f9a4891b16351be42518c28.jpg

That is really nice of you and thank you so much!!!

And thank you to everyone else that helped!