Carboniferous Pennsylvanian mystery fern from Kentucky

ntloux

I have a fossil fern (seed fern?) from Kentucky for which I have finally been able to acquire readable close ups of the leaf structure.  Members of the Forum have previously been very generous with their advice; however the image was not sufficiently detailed in order to make more definitive suggestions.  Various suggestions are that it is possibly a cyclopteris, a neuropteris ovata, or a macroneuropteris scheuchzeri specimen.  However, the leaf structure appears to be more robust than images of these types of fossils.  With the closeups hopefully a more definitive answer can be found.  Suggestions are welcome.

The 1st image is of the entire specimen including a neuropteris leaf (disregard the cyclopteris label).  The fossil of interest is in the upper right.  The remaining images are closeups.

SFLaveineopterisrarinervis(poss)andMacroneur-opteris(scheuch-zeriposs)PennEKY.thumb.jpg.e83af9fc7d37f8b31bc746cb2b99401a.jpg

SFMystery1PennKY.thumb.jpg.2818cbc7356c8872eb0655fa7c52252d.jpg

SFMystery2PennKY.thumb.jpg.c2a77b2d3a5d8d94cf3967080c5bd4c7.jpg

SFMystery3PennKY.thumb.jpg.2c12be385a965a84bd3bf10bcf2c97e3.jpg

SFMystery4PennKY.thumb.jpg.1211dce9f28e7e5767f8abf8fb4e7762.jpg

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

• Enjoyed 3

We had determined in a previous post that this is most probably Laveineopteris rarinervis. I thought it was Neuropteris ovata, but @paleoflor corrected my ID. He knows flora quite well, so I defer to his ID of this specimen.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo
  • Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Mark,  Thanks for all of the information that you have provided to me.  Nick