North Sulphur River vertebra (Mosasaur?)

Stormywx

I believe this is also part of a Mosasaur, but unlike the 100 other vertebrae I have, this one is concave on both ends. All of the other are convex on one end and concave on the other. It does not appear to have been broken off on either end. The piece appears agatized all over which would suggest that it was not broken )at least to me)

If this is from a mosasaur, is it a vertebrae, or some other part of the animal?

IMG_4239.jpg

IMG_4240.jpg

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

• Fossildude19 changed the title to North Sulphur River vertebra (Mosasaur?)

I believe both ends being concave tends to point to mammal bones.

I think that Reptiles have the ball and socket type configuration to their vertebrae.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looks like one of the uncommon finds from NSR - a plesiosaur vertebra. They are cylindrical and amphicoelous (concave both ends).

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

I see the two holes on the bottom edge... plesiosaur.  They are generally flat on both ends, but can be sightly concave.

Nice find.

10 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

Looks like one of the uncommon finds from NSR - a plesiosaur vertebra. They are cylindrical and amphicoelous (concave both ends).

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

Definitely, as has been said, a plesiosaur vertebra. These can be amphiplatean to platycoelous (see image below; source), whereas mosasaur vertebrae are procoelous. And while the subcentral foramina that are normally such a give-away for plesiosaur vertebrae aren't that visible in this specimen, two foramina can be spotted below where the neural arch would've attached. These aren't present in all species, however, do occur in some (unfortunately, I wouldn't know which in context of NSR). Again, as has been mentioned, this is an uncommon find for NSR, so well done! :default_clap2:

2000px-Centrum_Morphology_svg.thumb.png.85d260142365deb284a7e416eccfc262.png

• I found this Informative 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

So Many thanks to all of you. I'm tickled pink to find this out. I found this 30 years ago, and as I was rearranging my collection to include a good friends pieces, I noticed again that this did not look like all the rest. I had no clue that it was not a mosasaur. It's great to find that out. 

I do appreciate the help. 

• Enjoyed 1

Well now that I know what to look for, I think I found a few more plesiosaur vertebrae. Here are three of the five total I found hiding in my collection. From the size of these bones, I feel like this was a pretty big animal. 

IMG_4260.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

1 hour ago, Stormywx said:

Well now that I know what to look for, I think I found a few more plesiosaur vertebrae. Here are three of the five total I found hiding in my collection. From the size of these bones, I feel like this was a pretty big animal. 

IMG_4260.jpgIMG_4259.jpgIMG_4257.jpgIMG_4256.jpg

These are indeed all plesiosaur fossils! Very cool, and well-recognised! Especially the biggest one is really interesting, as it has part of its neural arch still attached! :default_clap2:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Really cool find. As far as I've heard, there have only been a couple full blown plesiosaur excavations on the NSR and its tributaries. One of them done through the Texas through time museum, which isn't exactly the most research oriented institution, and one through SMU that only yielded a very partial skeleton. Ozan formation plesiosaurs are definitely rare animals. 

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Thanks! Would never have known without site input. 

All help is genuinely appreciated.