Auction ammonite- identification needed

Shaun-DFW Fossils

Hello! I won an auction online to buy this ammonite someone found in a storage unit, they thought it was a snail! Any ideas on identification? The storage unit is in the USA but that doesn’t help with where it came from..I’m sorry but hopefully you understand the lack of information available given the background of how I acquired it. Madagascar is my first guess but I am ignorant on this topic and only know what I know! I don’t have it in my possession just yet. 

IMG_0701.jpeg

IMG_0700.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

It does looks like a Madagascar maybe Cleoniceras?

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Cheers!

James

Agree. These can be had fairly cheaply at fossil shops throughout the U.S.A.

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Not Cleinoceras (old name, the current name is Aioloceras besairiei).  The whorl section is too thick.  More likely this is a Desmoceras latidorsatum.  They come from the same location as the somewhat more common Aioloceras besairiei in Mahajanga, Madagascar (Lower Cretaceous: Albian).

Don

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

34 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Not Cleinoceras (old name, the current name is Aioloceras besairiei).  The whorl section is too thick.  More likely this is a Desmoceras latidorsatum.  They come from the same location as the somewhat more common Aioloceras besairiei in Mahajanga, Madagascar (Lower Cretaceous: Albian).

Don

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Agree. These can be had fairly cheaply at fossil shops throughout the U.S.A.

1 hour ago, trilobites_are_awesome said:

It does looks like a Madagascar maybe Cleoniceras?

Thank you all! That helps a lot. I paid 6.50 so I thought it was a low-risk bet..I don’t have any Madagascan ammonites either, so this at least adds a different species to the collection. 

They are inexpensive because they are abundant where they are quarried in Madagascar, but personally I think they are perfectly respectable ammonites.  Also yours shows the suture lines well on one side which isn't usual.  I would probably have grabbed it as well.

Don