NickG

I’m down in southern Maryland for the weekend.  With the blowout storms earlier today, would Purse State Park or Flag Ponds State Park be better hunting tomorrow morning?

You'll find many more shark teeth and fossils at Purse. Both will probably be crowded and the waves will be at gale force on the bay, go very early.

• Enjoyed 1

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

I've been to the BLM property (Blue Bluff) just upriver from Purse Park during a crazy blowout with the water hundreds of feet from the cliffs.  It literally looked like in movies when Moses parted the Red Sea.  I had visions of croc skulls, turtle carapaces/plastrons, large Otodus, but I found less than on a normal tide. There was sand/mud not even rocks out to where the water was, and without the wave action close to the cliffs less than normal was exposed there.  That was years ago, so maybe the bottom has changed, but if I went to that area on a blowout I would enter Purse State Park, follow the trail to the Potomac River, and then head down river as far as I could go.  There might be rocks down that way with trapped fossils rather than just sand/mud.

Marco Sr.

• Thank You 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Ultimately I had a nice two hour morning at Flag Ponds. It was cold and windy but I enjoyed myself. A few samples of shark and ray teeth… 

it was a very good day for coral lovers though!

IMG_2453.jpeg