Oligocene fossil jaw

Crinoids

Is there enough here to identify? I'm thinking maybe oreo, it is from Oklahoma Oligocene 

received_1367988903860397.jpeg

received_923670965890341.jpeg

received_914811210121873.jpeg

I’m not familiar with Oklahoma but I’m thinking maybe mesohippus or miohippus.

2 hours ago, Crinoids said:

I'm thinking maybe oreo,

image.jpeg.35ce187395a6ff9cd07114f146627562.jpegimage.jpeg.21881e71a1493c0584a5b825dfe3b5b3.jpeg

Hmmm.Close, but not quite a match, I feel.

• Enjoyed 5

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I didn't know there was Oligocene fossils to be found in OK.

• I Agree 2

On 3/24/2024 at 6:35 AM, jpc said:

I didn't know there was Oligocene fossils to be found in OK.

I agree, and i've researched a bit, and found out : no eocene fossils are known from there. That means, its probably from the permian, cretaceous period or something like that, whose fossils are very much known from Oklahoma. But this migth help. I found out too, that the Sam Noble Museum has a website, where you can try to identify Oklahomian fossils whith the help of experts. Hope this helps !

https://samnoblemuseum.ou.edu/common-fossils-of-oklahoma/i-found-a-fossil/

Edited by Brevicolis

Are good signatures really that important ?

I agree that kind of teeth had not been invented in the permian as far as I know.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

That looks like the lower third molar of an early horse - maybe even Hyracotherium or whatever the accepted genus is now.  Who said it was found in Oklahoma?

@fossillarry

Edited by siteseer
  • I found this Informative 1

I thought Hyracotherium lower m3 as well.  Which is Eocene.  Still, no Eocene in OK.  

• I found this Informative 2

13 hours ago, jpc said:

I thought Hyracotherium lower m3 as well.  Which is Eocene.  Still, no Eocene in OK.  

Yeah, labels must been mixed up somewhere.  That's probably from Wyoming or maybe New Mexico or Colorado.

I also have not read about any Eocene age deposits in Oklahoma, nor Oligocene deposits for that matter. The lower molar is certainly a perissodactyl, most likely an equid. could be " Hyracotherium " or perhaps Orohippus. The tooth does not look exactly like any specimen in my collection of Early Eocene equid lower teeth,  so I am not a hundred  per cent certain as to the  identity  of this specimen. To bad it does not have better locality data.