Diogo

Not a bone.

Looks like maybe an infilled burrow.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I really thought it was a piece of a bone, gives the idea of being a joint. 

6 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Not a bone.

Looks like maybe an infilled burrow.

I really thought it was some sort of joint, what are the tell sines of bone btw for future reference! Thanks for the reply!

@Diogo  That's a great question.  Looking at other examples is one of the best ways to familiarize yourself with fossil bones.  The more you see, the easier it is to recognize their common characteristics.  

Also, if you're hunting fossils, then it's a good idea to learn what fossils are most commonly found in your region and search the forum for albums of those.  It looks like Portugal is home to some Jurassic fossils, so you may want to look at examples of those.

Regarding bones, one of the most notable characteristics is seeing what look like pores in worn or broken sections.  These pores run deep, so they differ from the shallow holes that some rocks may have.  Also, most bones have some type of symmetry that rocks wouldn't have.

I can see why you'd pick your piece up, the shape is suggestive.  But I ruled it out as bone because it doesn't have the right texture and lacks porosity.  It appears to be a limestone or sandstone to me.  Those are often very suggestively shaped.

Here's a great album of Pleistocene bones for a start.  It can give you an idea of what some types of bones look like.

Thanks for all the information! Much appreciated! Got really excited at first about the shape of it I really thought it could have been a bone of some sort. I will definitely take a look on further examples of fossilized bone so I don't miss on many in the future!

Kind regards