Howdy all,

Found some plant fossils inside some coal plates eroding out if a creek in Edmonson County.

This one is pretty clearly a stigmaria and I've labeled it as Lepidodendrales indet.

20240327_092648.thumb.jpg.ce80e852d80f325bcaa78ccf9eb6c9db.jpg

This next one I'm pretty sure is a wood fragment from a cordaites, though, I could be wrong. To my knowledge, cordaites is the only woody plant in the area. I compared the grain to that of some cordaites petrified wood and it looks pretty similar.

20240327_092319.thumb.jpg.67a3ec544c085e4d6a15a1846f69bee1.jpg

this next one is on the same plate as the previous one. I'm not entirely sure what it is but it looks similar to the grain of palm or bamboo wood. I want to say this is pith from a Calamites but I'm unsure.

.20240327_092408.thumb.jpg.81196d76f313694d43d5a4208aee73ae.jpg

This appears to be a leaf impression, I'm guessing a species of calamites, though possibly some sort of pteridosperm.

20240327_092811.thumb.jpg.4d6223a1d777908c659ab6d014214fec.jpg20240327_0928112.thumb.jpg.2a36fc6c7cc7a31faad36fcd91571ad0.jpg

I also found some large calamites stems in the same site in a coal plate but I was unable to take them with me, as they were very brittle and falling apart. I unfortunately do not have any pictures, but they did have visible nodes.

• Enjoyed 2

Even though the specimens are fragmentary and not in a really great state of presevation, I think your ID is pretty much dead on.

• Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

30 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Even though the specimens are fragmentary and not in a really great state of presevation, I think your ID is pretty much dead on.

You think I was right on the Calamites pith?

1 minute ago, Fullux said:

You think I was right on the Calamites pith?

Yes. Most probably. As I said, fragmentary and poor preservation make specimens difficult to ID with any certainty. The ID's you have suggested are in the range of most probable possibilities. In other words most people would agree, but none of us can be absolutely sure, except in the case of the Stigmaria.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Yes. Most probably. As I said, fragmentary and poor preservation make specimens difficult to ID with any certainty. The ID's you have suggested are in the range of most probable possibilities. In other words most people would agree, but none of us can be absolutely sure, except in the case of the Stigmaria.

I nearly screamed when I split the plate that stigmaria was in and saw it in there, as I didn't know they could be found inside coal.

• Enjoyed 1