Do you feel a haunting sense of guilt.....?

aplomado

Do you feel a haunting sense of guilt....when you find a fossil in your house without locality information with it?

It's horrible...!  Am I the only one?

• I Agree 5

That happens to me from time to time out of sheer laziness. When I get back from a long day in the field, the last thing I want to do is to unpack my finds and record the information, so it gets stuck in a box. Eventually the box may get mixed, and then I forget precisely where I found each specimen. :DOH:

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, aplomado said:

Do you feel a haunting sense of guilt....when you find a fossil in your house without locality information with it?

It's horrible...!  Am I the only one?

It hasn't happened to me in the house yet, but by my last move when I was sorting out my old cloth bags which I use to pack the fossils in when I'm on a hunt , there were a couple of ammonites in one of them and I just couldn't remember which of the 3 Late Jurassic sites they came from.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

50 minutes ago, Kane said:

... and then I forget precisely where I found each specimen. :DOH:

Definitely a sign that you get out collecting way more often than I do.  I rarely forget a specimen, because collecting opportunities are so few and far between.

Don

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

I'm sure we've all done that if we're regular collectors. Most of my forgotten-info fossils are from when I was younger and less diligent about that sort of thing, or acquired from other collectors such as members of the rockhound club who have been very frequently careless about recording locality info, though, to be fair, some of them told me but I promptly forgot because I didn't write it down. (I still blame them for not making labels!)

Just saw this thread today. It happens I spent yesterday removing many fossils collected when I first picked up this hobby eleven years ago. At that stage of development, I did not understand the need to identify yet alone label where a fossil was found. They will be taken to the local children's fossil sand pit throughout the summer. So still put to good use! And yes, I continue to accidentally label specimens properly.