Can I prep Moroccan Trilobites?

MrBones

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it would be possible to prep Moroccan trilobites with my dremel 290 and ZoicPaleotech bits (and get decent results). I've been wanting to buy some unprepared specimens, but am unsure if I'd be able to do anything to them. Is there any particular matrixes or species you'd recommend? also, where would one aquire affordable, unprepared specimens? I'm not an expert fossil-prepper by any means (as you can tell by my current tools).

Thanks in advance.

I don't think the Dremel is sturdy enough to use on Moroccan trilos.

The matrix is notoriously hard, and difficult to prepare without professional level tools, but, I would wait for some other opinions.

@Kane 

• I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have never tried one, but they are in very hard rock.  I suspect they need some serious tools and skills.  

I see. Eventually I will upgrade my tools, maybe I can give it a shot then.

Thanks for the responses.

Utah trilobites would prep out easily with a Dremel engraver with the Zoic tips. The shale flakes off nicely and when close to the specimen you would turn the setting down to 1.  The bugs also have a notorious habit of jumping out of the matrix ...even if you stare at it too hard. 

Just passing this along in case you want to prep 'easy' matrix before tackling the hard stuff. 

The Dremel would take a long time on hard matrix... don't ask me how I know 

• I found this Informative 4

On 3/29/2024 at 5:41 PM, SPrice said:

Utah trilobites would prep out easily with a Dremel engraver with the Zoic tips.

That sounds great. Although I'm not such a fan of the Elrathia trilobites (they look a bit bland in my opinion).

What would be the chance of me getting one of the weirder Utah bugs whilst shopping?

I went to U-Dig trilobites pay quarry in 2006-7 and have yet to return. Fossils were pretty low on the list of importance and interests back then - raising 3 kiddos was the only thing.

But , yeah , I agree on the Elrathis k. Not to bash them completely but they seem like they should be clothing buttons, Harry Potter licorice lozenges, paleo currency coins, and such.

There are these "super" exciting species, Modocia typicalis, to be had... and more. Someone truly into trilos should respond.

image.png.63a542df6d48491ad197f1a241c0afac.png

Edited by SPrice
  • Enjoyed 3

Some New York bugs might be of more interest to you, while still in soft shale. I've also seen a couple unprepped Waldron shale bugs recently, too.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

I've prepped a few Moroccan bugs.  the matrix is VERY hard. My ME9100 did a good job on them but I don't think an electric engraver would have much luck. they aren't fun to prep, even with professional tools.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Isotelus2883 said:

Some New York bugs might be of more interest to you, while still in soft shale. I've also seen a couple unprepped Waldron shale bugs recently, too.

That might be an option!

I like the look of the Eldredgeops and would really like a dipleura.

I like the Oklahoma trilobites as well, but I have no idea what the matrix would be like.

32 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I've prepped a few Moroccan bugs.  the matrix is VERY hard. My ME9100 did a good job on them but I don't think an electric engraver would have much luck. they aren't fun to prep, even with professional tools.

I see... but it always looks fun when you see sped-up footage of other people doing it!

14 hours ago, MrBones said:

but it always looks fun when you see sped-up footage of other people doing it!

The rough part is that the rock tends to be sticky. That’s a bad combo when added with hard matrix. :duh2: