Help with Bone identification

Sleeper

This was found near the Calvert formation in Maryland.  It does seem to be fossilized.  Thanks for helping out a newbie and I will take proper photos for future posts. 

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

All I can say is that it doesn't look like the marine mammal bones found there. Perhaps a terrestrial mammal. With the ends in such poor shape, it may be hard to tell. 

looks like a partial humerus to me, but like Rockwood said with the ends missing IDing it is going to be tough.

Edited by CDiggs
  • I Agree 1

Thank you. I had been thinking a tibia based on photos I have seen. Maybe horse ?

What was found with/near it (shells, shark teeth, nothing)? This may help determine the age.

10 minutes ago, shark57 said:

What was found with/near it (shells, shark teeth, nothing)? This may help determine the age.

If it was found near the Calvert formation wouldn't that be the odds on with most other ages having about the same odds of being there?

11 hours ago, Rockwood said:

If it was found near the Calvert formation wouldn't that be the odds on with most other ages having about the same odds of being there?

I'm not even sure what "near the Calvert Formation" means. That's why I was trying to get more information.

1 hour ago, shark57 said:

I'm not even sure what "near the Calvert Formation" means. 

The Calvert formation is a contiguous layer of sediment in the general area of the Chesapeake Bay that has been studied and dated. It's named for the place it was first studied. 

51 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The Calvert formation is a contiguous layer of sediment in the general area of the Chesapeake Bay that has been studied and dated. It's named for the place it was first studied. 

I know. I live there. I have collected the Calvert for over 50 years. Still don't know what near the Calvert actually means.

Please note that TFF is an international forum. The Calvert Fm and even Maryland may not mean anything to anyone who isn't from the US East Coast.  

I realize that one can google, butt the more info that is presented up front, the easier an ID will be, and probably will get more input as well.

That said, try the "burn test":  heat a pin and try to insert or touch the bone.  If it smells burnt, it is recent.  Also ,tapping the bone against a hard surface. If you hear a porcelainesque tap, it's lithified, and a fossil.

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

4 hours ago, shark57 said:

I know. I live there. I have collected the Calvert for over 50 years. Still don't know what near the Calvert actually means.

I don't get it. Why not? It seems obvious to me. 

9 hours ago, shark57 said:

I'm not even sure what "near the Calvert Formation" means. That's why I was trying to get more information.

7 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Think he mean: what is NEAR the Calvert Formation. Was it found in sediments OF or on a place in the region near the Calvert fm

Edited by rocket
  • Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, rocket said:

Think he mean: what is NEAR the Calvert Formation. Was it found in sediments OF or on a place in the region near the Calvert fm

Near means a short distance from. What's to question?