Jump to content

SharkySarah

Recommended Posts

I was lucky enough to trade some matrix with another collected from the famous shark tooth hill. I’ve identified them to the best of my ability and would love to show them off and get any feedback. Scale is mm!  Thank you in advance! I’ll be more than happy to take different angles! 
 

C. planus tooth 

 

image.thumb.jpeg.2149353a26b0d195e447dacbccd9bb46.jpeg

 

Charcharhinus sp. tooth 

 

image.thumb.jpeg.a15ce63ca9e4cc339f7457d1d877a710.jpeg
 

Cat shark or hound shark? 
 

image.thumb.jpeg.fbbfc5094122d11583145d7bcdf3f7b2.jpeg

 

Galeorhinus sp.
 

image.thumb.jpeg.a70a07126c9783972d0dc87156ace009.jpeg
 

Mustelus sp.
 

image.thumb.jpeg.68875218188a6bbe0c767bf8f911e4e0.jpeg
 


Squalus occidentalis 


image.thumb.jpeg.c0a6e65f0b218bb28065ee31179944d6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5c363e5584c645beda6d9ae788ea585b.jpeg
 

 

Edited by SharkySarah
  • Enjoyed 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All correct

These are weird,right one looks like triakis, let me get back to you on the left one, do you have more angles?

IMG_4984.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mylobatis mouth plate 

image.thumb.jpeg.322be25280c5aa136fd613ac79bf0c8b.jpeg
 

Ray teeth (I can’t tell them apart for the life of me) 

image.thumb.jpeg.c0fa218c8683f9e684c28329038ae81f.jpeg
 

image.thumb.jpeg.8644432962d9b3fd7d8a0539888e1a15.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.b1f4e551e4e0cdb4e0ea579baceedd76.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.91598d7802f7de14bd6f27ae09b8af8a.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.7a90d3c746a43a7dd6641168a33ce392.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5b5d023ab259e505fc2ed14a24a103f9.jpeg
 

Wondering if E 1 and 2 are male ray teeth? 
image.thumb.jpeg.9867f7cd63ca66d208bb58db8dea6b2f.jpeg

 

fish teeth? 
image.thumb.jpeg.58691a24652e496c43af8054c2db0b90.jpeg

 

Male ray teeth?? 
image.thumb.jpeg.5ab4acb6d130da82815c804a4bff2b38.jpeg

 

H 1-3  and  all of I- basking shark ? 
image.thumb.jpeg.31345b2971be524dcd158ca546596815.jpeg

 

image.thumb.jpeg.2dbdd9b01f10205b8fb395a151346f35.jpeg
 

J- fish teeth? 
image.thumb.jpeg.593a87edae6cf0a27361dc85b1fd2e56.jpeg

 

K and L - basking shark? 
 

image.thumb.jpeg.5b26fda71d324546ff3ee13dc945e304.jpeg
 

image.thumb.jpeg.d93470a644eebc44f729f4ff23715969.jpeg

 

M to O I have nothing on these 

 

image.thumb.jpeg.34b8c33b4f24dc6f3e4190907a830cea.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.e9b3e9d23f0e8ed45e21e94179376967.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c7d95abae59a79510237d58589cb8086.jpeg

  • Enjoyed 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Little shark teeth I can’t ID 

image.thumb.jpeg.fa28cf4a3a944045ca91ea91d8954e64.jpeg

 

sadly broken shark teeth 

image.thumb.jpeg.2e7828974fbc72d1ad2256de2535b03e.jpeg
 

Dermal denticles 

image.thumb.jpeg.f45d3d94966cf6011a166bf7a7105665.jpeg

 

Crushing fish teeth - anyone know the genus ? 
image.thumb.jpeg.d79313f430833b26d32e151638ea6e6b.jpeg

 

Coprolite? 
image.thumb.jpeg.1590e6c346d47c67ea81df025437fb06.jpeg

 

is this cartilage or just some mineral? 
image.thumb.jpeg.a03420a537264bbdf83c729fe482f626.jpeg

 

bones? 
image.thumb.jpeg.864db50c7bfa619c4c49c49cb0b18b56.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9d4b0e512085215191c38ed7fcf7836d.jpeg

  • Enjoyed 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Notidanodon said:

All correct

These are weird,right one looks like triakis, let me get back to you on the left one, do you have more angles?


 

sure thing! 
 

left one: 

image.thumb.jpeg.cedef4ddd9adfede9cecef18ae70e945.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.6990885bb9e45f3b15ba55087f328059.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.32354aa251c05e35b7107553c5068ee4.jpeg
 

tight one: 

image.thumb.jpeg.cd80886001f29ef0a63ae8f4b597628f.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.e3793eac3d4e1617f3afe48633cc9873.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7a220f18cb7c0e09fc02bb532e30d909.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.982806264df7794cc678441090ec940d.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.20a7c29c3c76ecc67e1d93486947aca1.jpeg

image.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, SharkySarah said:

 

sure thing! 
 

left one: 

image.thumb.jpeg.cedef4ddd9adfede9cecef18ae70e945.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.6990885bb9e45f3b15ba55087f328059.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.32354aa251c05e35b7107553c5068ee4.jpeg
 

tight one: 

image.thumb.jpeg.cd80886001f29ef0a63ae8f4b597628f.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.e3793eac3d4e1617f3afe48633cc9873.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7a220f18cb7c0e09fc02bb532e30d909.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.982806264df7794cc678441090ec940d.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.20a7c29c3c76ecc67e1d93486947aca1.jpeg

image.jpeg

I think both are triakis 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, SharkySarah said:

Mylobatis mouth plate 

image.thumb.jpeg.322be25280c5aa136fd613ac79bf0c8b.jpeg
 

Ray teeth (I can’t tell them apart for the life of me) 

image.thumb.jpeg.c0fa218c8683f9e684c28329038ae81f.jpeg
 

image.thumb.jpeg.8644432962d9b3fd7d8a0539888e1a15.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.b1f4e551e4e0cdb4e0ea579baceedd76.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.91598d7802f7de14bd6f27ae09b8af8a.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.7a90d3c746a43a7dd6641168a33ce392.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5b5d023ab259e505fc2ed14a24a103f9.jpeg
 

Wondering if E 1 and 2 are male ray teeth? 
image.thumb.jpeg.9867f7cd63ca66d208bb58db8dea6b2f.jpeg

 

fish teeth? 
image.thumb.jpeg.58691a24652e496c43af8054c2db0b90.jpeg

 

Male ray teeth?? 
image.thumb.jpeg.5ab4acb6d130da82815c804a4bff2b38.jpeg

 

H 1-3  and  all of I- basking shark ? 
image.thumb.jpeg.31345b2971be524dcd158ca546596815.jpeg

 

image.thumb.jpeg.2dbdd9b01f10205b8fb395a151346f35.jpeg
 

J- fish teeth? 
image.thumb.jpeg.593a87edae6cf0a27361dc85b1fd2e56.jpeg

 

K and L - basking shark? 
 

image.thumb.jpeg.5b26fda71d324546ff3ee13dc945e304.jpeg
 

image.thumb.jpeg.d93470a644eebc44f729f4ff23715969.jpeg

 

M to O I have nothing on these 

 

image.thumb.jpeg.34b8c33b4f24dc6f3e4190907a830cea.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.e9b3e9d23f0e8ed45e21e94179376967.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c7d95abae59a79510237d58589cb8086.jpeg

A4 heterotorpedo

 

 E1 is an underdeveloped shark tooth

F yes apart2 which may be cetacean

 

g squatina and cetorhinus

 

n,o are heterodontus anterior teeth

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the help @Notidanodonhow do you determine which are Angel and which are basking? I think the circled one is Angel due to its large flat top but I’m not sure. I thought the ones in H were basking for sure but not I’m second guessing it all. 
 

image.thumb.jpeg.6deb7f71b1f9b841835d2872fb9c4ea0.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, all of H appear to be basking shark. i1 is a fish tooth and i2 is a shark tooth with broken roots (probably lower carcharhinus).

 

For angel shark teeth, the cusp is usually slender and has a single projection with elongated enamel shoulders and is perpendicular to the basal face of the root, which is wide and concave. Shape of the root is triangualr. Basking shark teeth are small and peg shaped, with a sharp, curved crown with a distinct cutting edge on each side and straight sided roots with 2 small lobes. Some teeth may have small cusplets.

 

Here is your last picture with my ID guesses.

image.png.091aa9dee1168ffe86163d7b5126cc21.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

K and L look like fish teeth (except L2 which is the crown of a shark tooth, not sure of the species but not basking shark).

M1: broken bit of shark tooth blade

M2: broken bit of fish tooth

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for explaining @TRout! You seem super knowledgeable on  shark tooth hill. Do you know if those pieces with craters are cartilage or just minerals? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SharkySarah said:

Thank you so much for explaining @TRout! You seem super knowledgeable on  shark tooth hill. Do you know if those pieces with craters are cartilage or just minerals? 

Those pieces are worn bone ;) 

  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, as @Notidanodon said, those are bits of bone. Spongey (cancellous) bone. Also, the other images that are labeled as bone are correct.

 

The image labeled as potential coprolite looks to me like it could be a blob of manganese. I don't have any manganese on its own, but here's a picture of a tooth mostly covered in manganese for comparison:

A571BC9A-46D6-4ED6-BA13-671306691D6F.thumb.jpeg.303663ed4bbc4619fa65faabd7678b49.jpeg

Edited by TRout
  • I found this Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, TRout said:

Yep, as @Notidanodon said, those are bits of bone. Spongey (cancellous) bone. Also, the other images that are labeled as bone are correct.

 

The image labeled as potential coprolite looks to me like it could be a blob of manganese. I don't have any manganese on its own, but here's a picture of a tooth mostly covered in manganese for comparison:

A571BC9A-46D6-4ED6-BA13-671306691D6F.thumb.jpeg.303663ed4bbc4619fa65faabd7678b49.jpeg

I would agree but the manganese normally coats something and given the shape it could be a coprolite or shrimp tunnel underneath but impossible to know 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A2 is Gymnura (butterfly ray) and A4 is Raja (edit: also B3 and B7 I think). For me the best reference on such teeth is the Batoid section of Elasmo (http://www.elasmo.com/)

Edited by debivort
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, debivort said:

A2 is Gymnura (butterfly ray) and A4 is Raja (edit: also B3 and B7 I think). For me the best reference on such teeth is the Batoid section of Elasmo (http://www.elasmo.com/)

Oh my goodness thank you so much for this resource. It is so better than the old PDF I was trying to look at.  Looking at this site, I think this is another Raja sp. ? 

20210717_130017.jpeg

20210717_125958.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SharkySarah said:

Oh my goodness thank you so much for this resource. It is so better than the old PDF I was trying to look at.  Looking at this site, I think this is another Raja sp. ? 

 

It is a male Dasyatis type tooth.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On your A ray teeth, #1, 2, 6 and 7 look like Mobula. 3 and 5 are Mustelus. 4 looks like Raja.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think A3 and A5 are Rhynchobatus (the little tongue-like projection, "medial uvula" is a good feature for that group). I think B1 is Dasyatis. D5 might be Plinthicus

Edited by debivort
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, debivort said:

I think A3 and A5 are Rhynchobatus (the little tongue-like projection, "medial uvula" is a good feature for that group).


Mustelus have this feature. Here is an example from this site.  The uvula in Rhynchobatus is more pronounced and have a pair of lateral ones beside the main one. 
 

edit: I was thinking Rhinobatis with the side uvulae. Some Rhynchobatus have hints of side uvulae but others don’t.
 

 

IMG_3331.jpeg

Edited by Al Dente
  • I found this Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Al Dente thanks for pointing that out about Mustelus sp. I think B2 is one as well. 

20210717_172554.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Other angles of ray teeth B and D 

 

B1  

image.thumb.jpeg.6c7b7581653ea3762431c4464693725c.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.d6b5894408a61b974832d4292887ecef.jpeg

 

B2. 
image.thumb.jpeg.c510ec629042b17b80b495b2463badf5.jpeg

 

B3. 
image.thumb.jpeg.00c46bd542207024fe77987b0f85325e.jpeg

 

B4. 
image.thumb.jpeg.7e02060d2870a6af8fe4295ad2daf489.jpeg

 

B5. 
image.thumb.jpeg.c25c6a2fbbe4538f6b94d65a1e08a3ed.jpeg

 

B6. 
image.thumb.jpeg.6223e5b56dc242e3c73af836a71520d2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5815a1916bfbf4b29bf70f06aa8def62.jpeg
 

B7. 
image.thumb.jpeg.21eefa2601ab3d8936fa15520a387d45.jpeg

 

D1. 
image.thumb.jpeg.b2cd24eadfa6c909b7c85435e1e7f521.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.257610085d01d3002d9c709eb4d47173.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.98d4ae7bb662c0b2a2ff6c2f4aa025a6.jpeg

 

D2. 
image.thumb.jpeg.a972aabee3665a641fb0ca92f79dfd13.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cf18c2a9b8dbc0ec0893fbb880c7e3d5.jpeg
 

D3. 
image.thumb.jpeg.dfcc7d0fe30854c1585879f387fa62f0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.170ed072150c134ce3a452624b942780.jpeg
 

D4. 
image.thumb.jpeg.9b09c87a1d9a39b1421674ed90967895.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.287e54edda2c9f2c8613fa15a2761ba3.jpeg

 

D5. 
image.thumb.jpeg.6a70b1d9e53641fb355447a9a7e3ce81.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.012a55e9fdf7e80f9490a764046c71b0.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.85bd9b3297c1af38420acdaf7c643220.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...