izak_

Thanks for sharing. I am so excited to see how this progresses. Keep posting!!!

• Thank You 1

Yes, this is definitely xenacanth. I'm not even sure which taxa make it into the Triassic but this is a phenomenal specimen that ought to be brought to the attention of Australian paleoichthyologists. 

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, jdp said:

Yes, this is definitely xenacanth. I'm not even sure which taxa make it into the Triassic but this is a phenomenal specimen that ought to be brought to the attention of Australian paleoichthyologists. 

I have been chatting to a couple of them about it, one is working on revising this taxon. He has provided some very useful papers on xenacanth skull morphology which I've used as reference. I believe it will be placed in the genus Mooreodontus. 

• I found this Informative 2

Woah, what formation is this? This seems amazingly well preserved. Has the xenacanth material from this site been described?

Just now, Petalodus12 said:

Woah, what formation is this? This seems amazingly well preserved. Has the xenacanth material from this site been described?

Sorry, just saw @jdp's reply. Glad that this specimen has been brought to the attention of some Australian paleo peeps. Still in awe of this thing, though, its incredible.

15 minutes ago, Petalodus12 said:

Sorry, just saw @jdp's reply. Glad that this specimen has been brought to the attention of some Australian paleo peeps. Still in awe of this thing, though, its incredible.

Thank you! :) Xenacanths have been known from here for a long time, there are some spectacular complete specimens which have been collected. Woodward first described them in 1908. I haven't seen any specimens which have been prepared like this though, most skulls are preserved side on and split right through the middle. This one should be special as it shows the skull morphology well. 

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, izak_ said:

Thank you! :) Xenacanths have been known from here for a long time, there are some spectacular complete specimens which have been collected. Woodward first described them in 1908. I haven't seen any specimens which have been prepared like this though, most skulls are preserved side on and split right through the middle. This one should be special as it shows the skull morphology well. 

Incredible. Glad that this material is getting attention. Also, amazing prep job!!!!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Thanks for sharing this.  I'm so impressed with your ability to recognize this diamond in the rough and the care you've taken to expose it.  Most of my finds are discovered by picking them up off a sandbar and hosing them down.  I take it for granted.  Your level of dedication to exploration is inspiring.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Finally getting back into it! It has taken a day and a half to remove rock from just a few crevices, this stage is very slow going and tedious. The rock tends not to chip off but gets progressively thinner against the fossil, so you end up having to effectively scratch it off with the scribe. I am waiting to get a new scribe before working on the vertebrae and ribs.

IMG_4395.thumb.jpg.72480c0cfb5609a3f4ffc0b888e58beb.jpg

IMG_4396.thumb.jpg.567f8e821673ee108b868abe79779e1e.jpg

IMG_4393.thumb.jpg.dc1a465168a265accabdf851bcf8eb71.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 11

Aah it’s always a bummer when the matrix is sticky like that.  Seems like your doing a great job with it though!

• Thank You 1

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

A bit of progress on the left side. Not quite as nice as the other side but still cool!

IMG_4444.thumb.jpg.dc7542717835f7047c65265b0147b571.jpg

IMG_4450.thumb.jpg.f1d0927bb026a916ed139ab9f1fb415b.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Cute! You certainly did expose the eyes very well :P What is that blue spot below the snout?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 minute ago, Ludwigia said:

Cute! You certainly did expose the eyes very well :P What is that blue spot below the snout?

That was an arrow reminding me not to scribe there so I didn't damage some potential denticles or teeth, but I accidentally got acetone on it!

• I found this Informative 1

Some agonisingly slow progress on the cervical vertebrae. It has taken all week to roughly expose just this small area! The rock here is a mix between softer, lighter cherty stuff and a much harder iron rich matrix. The iron rich stuff is especially sticky and has occasional pockets of pyrite (not enough for pyrite decay to be a concern). Once all of this section is exposed I will go back over it with a fine scribe to clean it up, preferably under magnification, but for now I'm satisfied with the progress!

IMG_45782.thumb.jpg.e5659c052dd3fa308a29947ed1de04a0.jpg

IMG_45772.thumb.jpg.af86fb671f23a52b442890144f241be5.jpg

IMG_45812.thumb.jpg.0e5ae98b1ab260ee900a2fad916699e7.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

Wow!  You are doing an amazing prep job my friend! 

RB

• Thank You 1

This is a great prep out cant wait to see finished result

• Thank You 1

Great preparing skills!  This will look amazing once finished :popcorn:

• Thank You 1

-Jay

“The earth doesn't need new continents, but new men.”
― Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea