Unidentified Eocene sand tiger Shark. London Clay Fm. UK

oollisD

• New Members

Hello all. 
I have this one shark tooth from the London clay and I’m really stuck on its identity. I’ve already ruled out Striatolamia due to the lack of lingual folding and shape of the cusplets. The only two options I have are Hypotodus verticalis and Glueckmanotodus heinzelini, but it has features of both and also has features that both do not present.

It’s from the London Clay formation at Walton-on-the-Naze, UK. The age is early Eocene (Ypresian). Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_1876.jpeg

IMG_1878.jpeg

IMG_1879.jpeg

IMG_1882.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

It’s a beautiful tooth! 

Is that a clay of some sort you used to hold it up? I find similar issues photographing stuff. 

Thanks

Jp

• I Agree 1

That’s an awesome tooth! I think probably of those two options Hypotodus verticalis is more similar to what you have. Hope my thoughts helps

Edited by M3gal0don_M4n

Signature goes here.

I did some research since my last reply and think Odontsapis Reticulatus is the closest to what you have. 

Signature goes here.

• 5 weeks later...

Hypotodus verticalis is what I would call it gluelmanotodus doesn’t make it into the London clay to my knowledge 

• I Agree 1

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

On 4/15/2024 at 1:59 AM, M3gal0don_M4n said:

I did some research since my last reply and think Odontsapis Reticulatus is the closest to what you have. 

I think that’s an old name

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

Haha. Probably is, that is just how I found it online. 

Signature goes here.