Crinoid(??) Fossil Clusters Identification Help

svrust

• New Members

I have found many of these fossils in Pennsylvania.  They look like fossilized mud beds with hundreds of small star like, round, and flower shaped trace fossils.  Looking for any information on these.

IMG_20240412_141720338_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240412_141737243_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240412_141712080 (1).jpg

IMG_20240412_141829259_HDR.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Your guess is correct, these are crinoid columnals. The larger shell like structures in the last image look like brachiopods and/or bivalves.

• I Agree 2

Yep, Nice crinoid plate

Also, Welcome to the forum!

Edited by Jaybot

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

It's not surprising to see the star shape. These are relatives of starfish. 

• New Members

Are the stars in the first image crinoid stems as well?

34 minutes ago, svrust said:

Are the stars in the first image crinoid stems as well?

Yes. Just a different species. 

Or it could be from a different size columnal. I'm not sure. 

Edited by Rockwood

Hello and welcome to the forum from New York!

Those last two plates are pretty nice!

Dave

Edited by Darktooth

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

• New Members

Hi Dave.  Are these "rare" to have such an abundance of fossils in one area?  Any market for these that you know of?

Yes. Give them away to kids to inspire the next generation.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

9 hours ago, svrust said:

I have found many of these fossils in Pennsylvania.  They look like fossilized mud beds with hundreds of small star like, round, and flower shaped trace fossils.  Looking for any information on these.

IMG_20240412_141720338_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240412_141737243_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240412_141712080 (1).jpg

IMG_20240412_141829259_HDR.jpg

Nice display piece. Bookshelf material

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Nice crinoid hashplates!

In the area I grew up there where spots with tose abundant layers of columnals, traditionally called "St. Bonifaz´Pennies", but they did not have that nice star pattern.

Best regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

5 hours ago, svrust said:

Are these "rare" to have such an abundance of fossils in one area?

No. Fossils often occur in clusters, for instance sometimes as so-called "death assemblages" or swept together by ocean currents of bygone ages into a trough or onto the seashore and later buried under the sediment. In the case of crinoids, if you study their anatomy, you'll see that the stalk of just one specimen alone can be made up of hundreds of separate columnals, so when they fall apart after death, which usually occurs quite quickly, you'll soon have a large collection of these lying on the ground.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

5 hours ago, svrust said:

Hi Dave.  Are these "rare" to have such an abundance of fossils in one area?  Any market for these that you know of?

I have a piece roughly the size of a football that is composed entirely of smaller columnals. There is virtually no matrix. I've read that it is nowhere near a record size for such an accumulation. 

10 hours ago, svrust said:

Nope. Not rare. As @Ludwigia pointed out above.

I personally have seen 2 meter thick layers in road cuts composed almost entirely of crinoids fragments. Now finding whole (or almost whole) specimens could be a different story.

As far as market or valuation, we do not discuss that here on the open forum as per forum rules. However, I think it’s safe to make a generalized statement that rarity usually drives up market value for any commodity. Considering these are as common as sand on a beach. Well, you can do the math… ;)

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• New Members

Thanks for all of the input.  That was all really very helpful.  I think these fossils are really cool, but when I show them to my wife, she says......"What.  No dinosaur bones?"  I'll guess I'll keep looking, lol.

• Enjoyed 1

22 minutes ago, svrust said:

Thanks for all of the input.  That was all really very helpful.  I think these fossils are really cool, but when I show them to my wife, she says......"What.  No dinosaur bones?"  I'll guess I'll keep looking, lol.

Unfortunately you'll have to keep looking outside of your state, since the overwhelming majority of the sedimentary stone is too old to contain any true dinosaur fossils. To my knowledge, the only remnants of dinosaurs in Pennsylvania are dinosaur footprints in the Triassic layers of the southeast of the state. I don't think that as yet any bones have been found.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I feel that although finding a lot of crinoids in one spot is not difficult (especially where I am) that the aesthetics of your crinoid plates are quite nice. I'm especially fond of the last two.

Otoh, what I get for crinoid plates are astoundingly full of fragments but not as pleasing to the eye as your specimens. Where I'm at I can find exposures 20 or more feet thick of various layers such as this. Yours are quite pleasing to the eye.

image.thumb.jpeg.5efb0e0c67465b17125bb97ff8d0c4a2.jpeg

• I Agree 1