Devonian Trilobites (Acanthopyge, Asteropyginae, Crotalocephalina, Gerastos, Metacantina, Paraljurus, Phacops, Proetus)

ntloux

Over the years I have found it difficult to pass up a nice trilobite.  Several were without identification or background information; I gambled that I would be able to identify these trilobites using information on the internet (images mostly).  I am attaching images of those that I believe to be Devonian trilobites.  I would most sincerely appreciate corrections and/or further species identification from those with more expertise.

The first image is of a trilobite that I acquired at an antique store in Alaska that was liquidating an estate with a private museum.  Through comparison with images on the internet, I have tentatively identified it as an Acanthopyge trilobite.

TrilobiteAcanthopyge(poss)DevMorocco.thumb.jpg.5a20b1c69ec5f63fe2fc6c9e5078ebb2.jpg

The second image is of a partially entrolled trilobite that I have preliminarily identified as an Asteropyginae trilobite (through images on the internet).

TrilobiteAsteropyginae(poss)jointDevMorocco.thumb.jpg.9cd776323c5a7f992ad36afb8bbbd1f9.jpg

The third image is of a Crotocephalina gibbus trilobite from the Devonian in Alnif, Morocco.

TrilobiteCrotalocephalinagibbusDevAlnifMorocco.thumb.jpg.ed3af3ee837964b1bd5f3787c6a5cd62.jpg

The fourth image is of a Gerastos trilobite from the Devonian in Zguid, Morocco.

TrilobiteGerastos2DevZguidMorocco.thumb.jpg.593898186ef57d10858e6df264889203.jpg

The fifth image is presumably a Metacantina trilobite from the Devonian in Morocco.

TrilobiteMetacantina(poss)DevAlnifMorocco.thumb.jpg.9f5b427f6cd0e57fccad298eb0f21c0e.jpg

The sixth image is presumably a Paralejurus trilobite from the Devonian in Morocco.

TrilobiteParalejurus(poss)DevMorocco.thumb.jpg.355eca4550c8f7bb4a85bdd589011925.jpg

The seventh image is presumably a Phacops trilobite from the Devonian.

TrilobitePhacops(poss)combinedDevMorocco.thumb.jpg.2e46b3a7d6da8af4dd0a031dc01e345d.jpg

The eighth and final image is of a Proetus granulosus trilobite from the Devonian in Morocco.

TrilobiteProetusgranulosusDevMorocco.thumb.jpg.74cf9af4659a41851068e85a2d58be22.jpg

Any further information/discussion about these trilobites would be appreciated.

@piranha should be able to help.

• I Agree 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

The first one is very likely a fabrication. The seventh one is not a Phacops, but another Metacanthina.

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Gerastos granulosus is a popular name across the internet, but is not a valid species in Morocco. 

The most common Moroccan species is: Gerastos tuberculatus marocensis

Images 5 & 7 are HollardopsMetacanthina should have a pronounced anterior cephalic projection.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Kane, Alas I fear you are right.  I examined the rear of the Acanthopyge and discovered that it scratches quite easily in a manner similar to a resin.  I harken back to my belated Father's advice: "Everyone gets flensed once in a while, just try to keep it to a minimum".  I wish to thank Darktooth, Kane and Piranha for their comments.  Nick

• Enjoyed 1