Hershey's Kiss

Shellseeker

The Peace at Arcadia was high , but not too High -- found a 2 inch Mako -- minus the root, a couple of gator teeth, Glyptodon Osteoderm, numerous small Meg/Mako teeth, a couple of unknowns, but a fossil friend found the Hershey's kiss. Maybe others would challenge my expert ID.

In the 2nd Photo are the "eyes" original or created after death?

post-2220-082729600 1278205204_thumb.jpg

post-2220-096712700 1278205219_thumb.jpg

post-2220-087689700 1278205235_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

turtle spur?

Maybe, but I have found a number of turtle spurs, including one today. This could be a spur , but it would be really different,

post-2220-028331500 1278206356_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Maybe, but I have found a number of turtle spurs, including one today. This could be a spur , but it would be really different,

have no clue, it sure is cool looking.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I have a few peices similar to this that I also found in the Peace River. That one there, however, looks to be a bit larger than the ones I've found. Could you give us the size of that big bad 'kiss'.

BTW: I'd have to 'guess' and say glyptodont.

Edited by Hemi-God

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

Thanks for the replies. Here is a photo with different lighting. It seems my "eyes" may be of different origin. At the bottom, under magnification, it seems there is a chip off the surface with the current surface consistent with the original. May not be a tooth impression. Center right and Top seem to be original features of the fossil.

I have found a number of Glyptodon Osteoderms and they tend to be larger with the rosette pattern, but now that I have stared at a tail recreation, I think you have the answer.

post-2220-068800200 1278251410_thumb.jpg

post-2220-070476600 1278251449_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

At the risk of sounding contrary, I think this is a giant tortoise osteoderm. Tortoise spurs come in a range of sizes. The tortoise spurs tend to have a more-attenuated and centrally-located point than do the glyptodont marginal or tail osteoderms. (This example also seems on the small side for a glyptodont spur.)

post-42-011599900 1278269371_thumb.jpgpost-42-006110100 1278269476_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry,

I LIKE contrary :P It keeps the discussion going on a really interesting fossil. Whether it is a Glyptodon Osteoderm or Giant Tortoise spur, it is the first one of these Hershey Kisses that I have seen and I would love to find another one (This example being found by my friend).

So I have a number of Spurs, None seem to have the detail on the undersides.. Note in the 1st picture above the very defined line around the base about 1/8 inch up from the bottom, -- Once again a clear difference.

Maybe the spurs I have found are not Giant Tortoise, but some more recent relatives.

I think I am done for months, On July 3rd, at a low spot on the Peace, I was shoveling in water slightly above my waist. I would be out today IF the water was not over my head...

Back to seashells for a while.

post-2220-023940600 1278335236_thumb.png

Edited by Shellseeker

• 2 months later...

Opening this one again, because on 9/25 with PeaceFossil at Arcadia, I found another Hershey's Kiss -- does not look quite the same, but if you look at the bottom view, the marks are almost identical.

I set a turtle spur next to it for comparisons -- they are about the same size but different..

The big question remains -- Turtle spur or Glyptodon Osteoderm, If turtle, are there studies or photos we can look at?

post-2220-025571000 1285545111_thumb.jpg

post-2220-054150400 1285545121_thumb.jpg

i'd guess a tortoise foot pad - if not that then a spur. definitely don't think it's from a glyptodont.

YES!!! -- It is a tortoise foot pad, and in searching the net , I found this link

http://www.fossilweb.com/landtort1.htm

which had the photo below of a Tortoise medial phalanx in addition to the foot pad and spurs, and I have found 3-4 of those and wondered what there were...

All things come to those who sit and wait..

post-2220-026769100 1285560210_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1