Miocene fish?

cck

A conundrum bone that keeps turning up from the Miocene in Virginia and Maryland.. anyone have an idea ?

IMG_3689.jpeg

IMG_3688.jpeg

looks like rocks to me, ive never seen any bones from the miocene with that appearance 

• I Agree 2

They are all just suggestively shaped rocks.

• I Agree 1

Cheers!

James

All I’m seeing is rocks here too. And I’ve prepped over 100 fossil fish

• I Agree 1

Thanks Randy I’m not an idiot with an egg rock 

All the years I’ve been posting here and no one will back me.. this forum is diluted 

These are not rocks please just give an opinion based in science 

The morphology is repeated .. I have ten more that are the same

I’m not seeing rocks. I think I see some holes in them like the one in a fossil I just happen to be fondling at the moment.

IMG_2810.thumb.jpeg.ced769d8b747d250b1ab08303780dfd1.jpegIMG_2809.thumb.jpeg.7613f843b3606916c77d4ccc0be7da91.jpeg

Am I correct at what I think I see in your pics?

The second one down on the left in the first pic also looks to have some fracture lines on the right side.

Also it’s not a natural shape that rocks are going to lean towards. I see fossils too, maybe not fish though. 

54 minutes ago, cck said:

Thanks Randy I’m not an idiot with an egg rock 

I don't believe that anyone has suggested that you are an idiot. Maybe you could explain what it is that makes you think this is a fish fossil.

I don't see any bones, teeth or scales that would make me think fish.

Edited by Darktooth
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I’m leaning towards the holes being foramen. I’m 100% novice at the fossil jig but I’ve eaten more than my fair share of steaks and pork chops that have very similar holes. I could be wrong, but I’m confident enough to bet a 32 ounce porter house on it. foramen

So you believe these are fish skulls?

Since the OP asked to have his account deleted, I think we are wasting time by responding (and @Elmo is going to owe a lot of people a steak :heartylaugh:).  

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

It really gets tiring when people post questions and then get upset when they don't like the answers they receive. Nobody got nasty with the OP

Ridiculous......

• I Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

So you believe these are fish skulls?

Oh no, I don’t think they are fish skulls. I’m not even betting on fish. In the first pic the 2 on the bottom left and the top and bottom one on the right all have said holes that are identical in placement and size. They all do conform to a very strong resemblance of shape too. I just can’t even think of what the odds would be to have rocks weather the same shape and end up with the same holes in position and size. I’d say naturally forming in mass like that is pretty much a no go. Man made maybe, but I can’t see any reason to fake these. 

Just now, Elmo said:

Oh no, I don’t think they are fish skulls. I’m not even betting on fish. In the first pic the 2 on the bottom left and the top and bottom one on the right all have said holes that are identical in placement and size. They all do conform to a very strong resemblance of shape too. I just can’t even think of what the odds would be to have rocks weather the same shape and end up with the same holes in position and size. I’d say naturally forming in mass like that is pretty much a no go. Man made maybe, but I can’t see any reason to fake these. 

Maybe not. This may interest you.

• I found this Informative 3

4 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

It really gets tiring when people post questions and then get upset when they don't like the answers they receive. Nobody got nasty with the OP

Ridiculous......

I agree with you on that point. Going overboard won’t ever solve anything. Discussion, no matter how drawn out it can be is the answer. 

• I Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Fin Lover said:

Since the OP asked to have his account deleted, I think we are wasting time by responding (and @Elmo is going to owe a lot of people a steak :heartylaugh:).  

Can they hold off on the banning? It might end up Elmo getting a handful of steaks. lol 

13 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Sometimes there are other explanations for stange occurrences. We may or may not ever find out the truth about what these may actually be.

I myself see it as a sad thing for somebody to get so upset  and want to leave the forum. There are many good and knowledgeable members here. I am going to leave it at that. 

Edited by Darktooth
  • I Agree 1

A common argument is that it simply cannot be a coincidence that they are so similar. 148 million Square kilometers can.image.jpeg.26073b60ada828d4a3f6529348bc7ebf.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

1 minute ago, Elmo said:

It might end up Elmo getting a handful of steaks. lol

Similar conditions create similar things… i prep everything from oreodont skulls to trilobites. I can see where the shape is reminiscent of a foremen. Unfortunatly shape alone is not enough. You also need to take into account textures and several other things wich just aren’t there on these pieces… I’ll stick with rocks….

by the way I like my steak well done thanks…

• Enjoyed 2