Does anyone know of a full list of all fossils + names that have been found in Kentucky?

colebiederman

• New Members
Posted (edited)

Hello,

I am new to the forum and trying to educate myself on my home state's paleontology and geology. I am wondering if anyone knows of a site that contains a list of all fossil species that have been found in Kentucky. I read on University of Kentucky's website that 4,000 species identified in the state, but cannot find a list. If anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction, that would be amazing. Thank you!

Edited by colebiederman
Corrected amount of fossil species found in Kentucky, as well as the source that states so.

Just start... Some one on this forum may have an answer of a single list... but until then just use the Internet search engine to look for "Kentucky fossil fauna" .  I got 773 thousand hits including this one... 

https://www.uky.edu/OtherOrgs/KPS/poky/pages/pokych10.htm

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

You might be hard-pressed to find some kind of master list of all fossil fauna found in the state. You might be able to cobble one together from a long list of articles, books, and USGS reports. It would be a labour to create and maintain such a list as new species may be found and formally described, other potential species awaiting formal description, and taxonomic assignment changes. It may not be a scientifically useful effort to do so when generally research is focused on particular fossils or representative fauna in formations/members. Complicating the picture a bit more might be the reporting of erratics: technically they may have been found in the state, but do not originate in the bedrock there. 

The 4,000 number seems to be a "ballpark" figure. You could always reach out to the Kentucky Geologic Survey and ask them if they could point you to some resources that better qualify that number.

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer