Tooth puzzle need help with id.

Eric9799

Found these tooth fragments that I was able to puzzle together, anyone able to take a guess at id? About 50mm found in Sweden.

IMG_7233.jpeg

IMG_7230.jpeg

IMG_7224.jpeg

Looks to be not dissimilar to a plesiosaur tooth - but not confident in that. Whereabouts in Sweden did you find this?

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Any idea about the geological context? That might really help narrow down what this could be. In absence of geological context, approximate locality might help, as this would allow others - not me - to figure the geological context out. That'd be the basis of an ID.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Posted (edited)

Will hazard a guess on this one, because preservation and knowledge of Swedish marine cretaceous formations makes me guess you found this in the Kristianstad basin. That's a marine deposit so this is likely a mosasaur tooth. The photos show some fine vertical ridges that are characteristic of the subfamilies Pliolatecarpinae and Tylosaurinae. At that size, it's unlikely to be a Plioplatecarpine and so likely represents a Tylosaurine. The Tylosaurine that I'm aware of from the Kristianstad basin is T. ivoensis

Thus, speculation suggests Tylosaurus ivoensis. Other candidates may exist though, since I am certainly no authority in European mosasaurs.   

Edited by Jared C

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

My first guess would be plesiosaur like Scanisaurus.

But Im not that certain with fragmentary tooth. Also exact location should be known.

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

I agree that the Kristianstad Basin is the most likely origin for this find, and would agree with the majority opinion that this is more likely plesiosaur than mosasaur. At the same time, without exact location and geological context, all is just speculation, as there may be other candidates as well, which we're now excluding simply based on all thinking of the various sites available in the Basin. Also, while this does look most like an elasmosaurid tooth, which would make it Scanisaurus sp., there's a polycotylid known from those deposits as well, which, based on the photographs, I can't rule out. So I'm not willing to place my bet without further information...

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Kristianstad Basin. Uppermost Santonian or lower Campanian depending on which layer in the quarry. The bulldozer moves the limestone around.

I have seen it IRL. My ID then was plesiosaur. 

The cross section on the plesiosaurian (Scanisaurus sp , nomen dubium) teeth are more oval compared to the circular cross section of the polycotylid. But the tooth is to fragmented for determination. But it lacks the ridges of the Scanian polycotylid.

• I found this Informative 2

40 minutes ago, Anders Jonasson said:

Kristianstad Basin. Uppermost Santonian or lower Campanian depending on which layer in the quarry. The bulldozer moves the limestone around.

The cross section on the plesiosaurian (Scanisaurus sp , nomen dubium) teeth are more oval compared to the circular cross section of the polycotylid. But the tooth is to fragmented for determination. But it lacks the ridges of the Scanian polycotylid.

I agree... There aren't any strong striae that would mark the tooth as polycotylid, and the tooth does seem rather laterally compressed. At the same time, certain polycotylid species have more trihedral teeth, and striations can be highly variable. My money, to be honest, would indeed be on elasmosaurid plesiosaur as well. However, again, I don't think enough of the tooth remains in a put-together state to be able to confirm.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I agree... There aren't any strong striae that would mark the tooth as polycotylid, and the tooth does seem rather laterally compressed. At the same time, certain polycotylid species have more trihedral teeth, and striations can be highly variable. My money, to be honest, would indeed be on elasmosaurid plesiosaur as well. However, again, I don't think enough of the tooth remains in a put-together state to be able to confirm.

Sorry haven't been in the forum for a while, took home a big pile of the matrix and currently carefully looking through it(and have found some more pieces) So hopefully I’ll be able to post a more complete tooth soon.

2 hours ago, Anders Jonasson said:

Yes thanks for id, posted this before I talked to you :) I’ve found some more pieces so hopefully I’ll have a more complete tooth soon!

• Enjoyed 2

11 minutes ago, Eric9799 said:

Yes thanks for id, posted this before I talked to you :) I’ve found some more pieces so hopefully I’ll have a more complete tooth soon!

Hope you find them all. Keep digging.

I talked to Mikael Siversson about the piece of tooth the English family found. He said i was from a mosasaur just like I thought so it doesn´t belong to your tooth.