Unknown Eagle Ford bone- Dallas County

Shaun-DFW Fossils

Hello! I had a nice afternoon in northwest Dallas County, Texas, finding some beautiful pyrite and even a couple of fossilized fish skeletons (my extraction abilities were lacking). This bone came out of the clay at water level in the creek I was exploring. Right where I was finding fish skeletons, but this bone seems to belong to a far larger creature than the small and fragile fish skeletons I was finding embedded in the shale. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

IMG_2151.jpeg

IMG_2152.jpeg

IMG_2153.jpeg

IMG_2154.jpeg

IMG_2155.jpeg

IMG_2156.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

This looks more like wood to me. The shape would typically be more common in roots. 

I would be interested in seeing a post of the fish skeletons. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I had the same thoughts :thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Rockwood said:

This looks more like wood to me. The shape would typically be more common in roots. 

Thanks! I’m open to that possibility, not a bad suggestion. It might be correct, too. I had a friend with me who gives guided tours and he had a massive fossil collection and he thinks it’s bone..I only notice it is not symmetrically round all the way, it shifts width/height at the part that starts curving, so it’s taller than wide along the curve, and no plants were close to it so I see what my friend saw as well. One end is sharp and it has a glossy exterior, in case the photos didn’t do justice to what I see in person!

Edited by Shaun-DFW Fossils

As I see it, I should thank you for arguing to my point. The color, texture, and morphology in my opinion all strongly favor a wood identification. The morphology as strongly indicates a root. 

• I found this Informative 1