Turtle fossil or other?

JIMMFinsman

Notice the symmetry and what looks like a spinal cord. Shell on top ?  Beach on Delaware 

PXL_20240429_114129196.jpg

PXL_20240429_114137145.jpg

PXL_20240429_114142362.jpg

I'm going to have to say other. I think this looks like conglomerate of some sort, perhaps volcanic breccia? 

Sorry, this is not a turtle.  No real turtle features.   Google 'fossil turtle shell' for some views of actual fossil turtles.

Edited by jpc

Maybe not a turtle but the shape is not normal for just a rock. I believe it's aud fossil of some creature. Those two sides are sloped proportionately and the center line is flat and about an inch or so wide 

43 minutes ago, JIMMFinsman said:

Maybe not a turtle but the shape is not normal for just a rock. I believe it's aud fossil of some creature. Those two sides are sloped proportionately and the center line is flat and about an inch or so wide 

The shape you are describing is common in fractures which form in unstratified rock. Often, it's caused by thermal contraction as the mass cools. 

If you ever get a chance, old fashioned granite quarries are a good place to study the phenomenon. Vinal Haven, one of the Fox Islands on the Maine Coast, is one of my favorite places to see them. 

24 minutes ago, JIMMFinsman said:

Hoping to get up that this fall

Be sure to visit the historical society's museum.