Is this afrovenator tooth authentic?

• New Members

I primarily want to know whether this fossil is authentic, but if a person could verify whether this is an afrovenator tooth is also appreciated.

These are the best quality photos I have. Origin is stated to be Niger, Jurassic period. I am trying to buy my first fossil.

s-l1200 (9).webp

s-l1200 (8).webp

s-l1200 (7).webp

s-l1200 (6).webp

s-l1200 (5).webp

s-l1200 (4).webp

s-l1200 (3).webp

s-l1200 (2).webp

s-l1200 (1).webp

s-l1200.webp

It is an authentic fossil tooth from Niger.

The preservation of the tooth looks a bit more Elrhaz Formation than Irhazer Group. But this could just be due to lighting.

But I'm going to guess this is an indeterminate large basal/early diverging Elrhaz carcharodontosaurid than Jurassic megalosaurid/Afrovenator. I think people forget that basal carcs (such as Neovenator and Acrocanthosaurus) also exhibit teeth with mesial carinae that do not extend to base. It's probably not Eocarcharia though as we know the single tooth we have from this genus has a derived condition more similar to the two Carcharodontosaurus species and giganotosaurins.

Edited by Kikokuryu
  • I found this Informative 2

• New Members

Okay, I have done more research regarding Elrhaz formation. I cannot find another carcharodontosaurid other than eocarcharia. So by your insight, does this mean this tooth belongs to an unknown species, if the lighting is "correct"? 

You mention both megalosaurid and carcharodontosaurid teeth exhibit mesial carinae not extending to base, but how do I distinguish the two taxonomic families via teeth of Niger?

Posted (edited)

Niger, Jurassic period is not enough to determine locality of the tooth or identification. Really need locality to call it anything other than ind. theropod.. This might help explain it.

Edited by FB003

*Frank*

• New Members

I do not appear to have a keen eye when trying to distinguish teeth despite my effort, so I will have to trust you. 

Here is what the seller has written:

"Rare Afrovenator Abakensis Dinosaur Tooth From Tiouraren Formation, Niger. [...] Middle or Late Jurassic Period. Tooth size 3.5cm(1.37inch)."

I would have been more specific if I would not keep forgetting there is a description button on online auction site. So, how likely is this an afrovenator? Or shall I title this tooth as indeterminate theropod anyway?