Are Megalodon vertebrae real?

M3gal0don_M4n

Hi!

I am not sure if this is meant to go here.

This may come across as a seriously stupid and uneducated question , but are Megalodon vertebrae real? 

I have looked online and haven’t seen any photos. 

Signature goes here.

Never mind. I found some.

Signature goes here.

On 4/29/2024 at 11:42 PM, M3gal0don_M4n said:

Never mind. I found some.

Yeah, you might like to see that long string of vertebrae found in Belgium and a few were found with a set of jaws in Peru.  You can try doing a search on this site and see what's been talked about before.

It isn't a stupid question.  We might not expect to find a shark vertebra preserved as a fossil since a shark's skeleton is mostly cartilaginous.  However, shark vertebrae can be partly calcified in life so they have a chance to be fossilized.  The specimens I have and have seen have a porcelain-like preservation.  They are easily chipped so they're often discovered already broken.  They are not common finds and megalodon specimens are especially rare.

Posted (edited)

I had found a Scylirhinoid (catshark) vertebra on the beach and have seen what I was told was an Otodus obliquus vertebra.

Edited by M3gal0don_M4n

Signature goes here.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, M3gal0don_M4n said:

I had found a Scylirhinoid (catshark) vertebra on the beach and have seen what I was told was an Otodus obliquus vertebra.

Who told you it was an Otodus vertebra ? Because the size of a scyliorhinidae and an Otodus is very different, so certainly their vertebrae too...

Moreover, I think that shark vertebrae, originally made of cartilage ossify with their advanced age, a little like our own tendons that ossify with old age. That would explain why fossilized shark vertebrae can be found.

Coco

Edited by Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

3 hours ago, Coco said:

Because the size of a scyliorhinidae and an Otodus is very different, so certainly their vertebrae too...

Coco, I think he is talking about two different verts.  He found the scyliorhinidae vert himself AND he has seen a vert that someone claimed was from an Otodus.

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

Ah OK, I would have misunderstood then. Thanks @Fin Lover

Coco

• Enjoyed 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg