How best to make these vertebrae “pop” (gonna display in the substrate)

History Hunter

• New Members

What is the best way to make these fossils “pop” (that is, look more visually appealing, as they rest in the natural substrate (the right word?) … I found this, and would like to display it.

IMG_6830.jpeg

Awesome find! Looks pretty good just the way it is to me.

• I Agree 1

If you don’t like them as is and want them to stand out more from the matrix or rock there are a few things you can do.

Smooth the rock or matrix. This can take time, but it creates a “blank canvas” and takes away any distracting details around the fossil. 

Consolidant can help too. It strengthens the fossil but also has the added benefit of bringing out the color of bone and shell. Sometimes the color saturation is lost when things are dry. Consolidant can give that “wet look” without the nasty gloss effect. 

Edited by Doctor Mud
  • I Agree 1

I also think that it is a great find and looks fine just the way it is. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I like the way they look as well, and am a fan of fossils left in a bit of matrix, but you could prep out the outline of them and dig the background down a little. That would make them stand out. But… that also requires prepping tools and skill to accomplish. 

Unless you have preppings tools and the know-how, I would leave them as is.

They still look great to me. :thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I think you have gotten advice/choices as good as it gets. All the replies you need and just pick and choose. 

One thing I have and continue to experience is sometimes I miss the stopping point  and apply just a little TOO much Paraloid and it ends up being a little TOO wet looking...too glossy.  I could go back and hit it with straight acetone or scuff it dull....still pondering about doing that.

Good luck!

Edited by SPrice
typos...as usual

59 minutes ago, SPrice said:

miss the stopping point  and apply just a little TOO much Paraloid and it ends up being a little TOO wet looking...to glossy

Yes - sometimes I do that too. I’ll think - one more coat. Then it looks a bit too glossy which I don’t like. Brushing on some straight acetone dials it back a notch 

• Thank You 1

Looks great the way it is.  I say that because a) it does and b) this is not an easy thing to make 'pop'.  Lots of work involved with specialized tools.  

• I Agree 1

• New Members

Thanks,all.  After reading this, I think I’ll leave it “as found.”  I don’t want to diminish it.  Again, thank you for your expertise and opinions.