Jlark18

Found this specimen in a dry riverbed near Holden Utah. 

There are many circular and oval like depressions throughout. Looks similar to pine cone shape and indentations or stigmaria roots. 

Any thoughts? Cheers.

Appx. 3.5” x 4.5” @ 1.5lb 

IMG_5379.jpeg

IMG_5378.jpeg

IMG_5376.jpeg

IMG_5372.jpeg

IMG_5375.jpeg

IMG_5374.jpeg

IMG_5373.jpeg

IMG_5377.jpeg

Not Stigmaria.

Looks more like some sort of a cycad fossil.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I would expect a more regular pattern in a cycad, stigmaria or cone. I think it may be geological -- or maybe not. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Could this be a river-worn piece of vuggy limestone? What's the geology like around Holden (UT), e.g., in terms of age and depositional environment?

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Could it be pholad borings (or the like) from when it was still soft ground, that were load compressed before lithification? 

5 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Not Stigmaria.

Looks more like some sort of a cycad fossil.

I am not familiar with cycad’s but after looking it up the images online look almost identical. 

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Could it be pholad borings (or the like) from when it was still soft ground, that were load compressed before lithification? 

Hmm..is it typical for these borings to be uniform in shape and size and to be located across the entire exterior?

1 hour ago, Jlark18 said:

Hmm..is it typical for these borings to be uniform in shape and size and to be located across the entire exterior?

No. But that's precisely why I suggested it. I don't think these are. 

• New Members

Not stigmaria or cycad for sure. I have collected both from Utah. Superficially it looks like specimens of Tempskya I have collected. The area around Holden is alluvial fans with the Fishlake National Forest mountains nearby and those are full of quartzite, dolomite, and limestone from the Ordovician and earlier. I would venture to guess it was found in the Pliocene Oak City Formation that directly surrounds parts of Holden. From the description "Sandy, bouldery gravel, poorly to well cemented; forms dissected alluvial apron on west and south-west sides of Canyon-Pahvant-Range fault block; base not exposed; contains landslide blocks (-Cop and Tf at Red Cedar Hill, 7 miles (11 km) south of Holden, and Tqb and Tcb in the hills south of Oak City); estimated thickness 0 to 2,000 feet (0-600 m)"