Solnhofen fossil ID

Paolo997

Hi forum,

while waiting for the preparation of the fossil in my other topic i started cleaning a new piece, collected in the same quarry, Solnhofen (DE)

i collected it because it showed the classic depressions typical of the presence of a fossil underneath, as you can see in the first picture

while digging, it keeps popping out teeth (and i'm really happy about it). can you please tell me what animal it is so i can search some pitures online and better understand the shape below the rock before keep digging? i know it is still dirty, especially on teeth, i still have hours to work on it :)

thanks a lot

Best regards

Paolo

raw.jpg

working.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

8 hours ago, ynot said:

Looks fishy too me. just a guess

It does look like a fish jaw. 

• I found this Informative 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Posted (edited)

Fish jaw, might be (due to the shape of the lower jaw and the distance of the teeth) a Caturus-type

interesting find, normally it is not common to find isolated lower jaws from this fish

I add some pics of a Caturus to compare

7815_Caturus_klein.jpg

7618_Caturus_klein.jpg

Edited by rocket
  • I found this Informative 2

Looks like a good fit. There are not so many fish in Solnhofen that have relatively large teeth.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).