Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • New Members

Hi, I would like to buy these fossils from Morocco. I think they're fake, I would be very grateful for any opinions. Thanks 

Captura de pantalla_2024-05-02-22-38-28-798_com.wallapop.jpg

IMG_20240510_171501.jpg

IMG_20240510_171535.jpg

IMG_20240510_171555.jpg

IMG_20240510_171614.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The skull is fake as a three dollar bill, I wont say anything on the brittle stars, but they dont look very good to me either. Maybe @Tidgy's Dad could say more about these brittle stars.

Edited by Brevicollis
  • Thank You 1

I like fossils...

Thats all I have to say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • New Members

Thanks you for your reply 😊 Yes, the heads look fake but needed a reply from someone who knows. The first two starfish look drawn to me, not sure. Thanks again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Artwork, all of it. No real fossils, except maybe the crowns of the teeth.

The starfish are all carved. Not real.

Stay away from Moroccan fossils, unless you know for sure they are real.

  • I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 4

    Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

   MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

__________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Compare this scientic drawing of a mosasaur skull to the one shown above. The one shown is completly fake (except the teeth) ! Im still unsure on the Starfish, but we can definetly stamp the skull as fake.

Screenshot_2024-05-10-18-19-43-134_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-10-18-23-53-798_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Edited by Brevicollis
  • I found this Informative 2

I like fossils...

Thats all I have to say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • New Members
5 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Obras de arte, todo ello. No hay fósiles reales, excepto tal vez las coronas de los dientes.

Todas las estrellas de mar están talladas. Irreal.

Manténgase alejado de los fósiles marroquíes, a menos que esté seguro de que son reales.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, unfortunately here in Spain It seems like there are loads of fake ones.

  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • New Members
On 5/10/2024 at 12:24 PM, Brevicollis said:

Compare this scientic drawing of a mosasaur skull to the one shown above. The one shown is completly fake (except the teeth) ! Im still unsure on the Starfish, but we can definetly stamp the skull as fake.

Screenshot_2024-05-10-18-19-43-134_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-10-18-23-53-798_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Thanks you for your reply 😊 Yes, the heads look fake but needed a reply from someone who knows. The first two starfish look drawn to me, not sure. Thanks again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

funny material :rolleyes:, fully done, made by a well and interesting talented moroccean artist :notworthy:

  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • New Members
1 hour ago, rocket said:

funny material :rolleyes:, fully done, made by a well and interesting talented moroccean artist :notworthy:

Thanks you for your reply 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that none of these are real (except parts of the teeth).  Sometimes you can see an indeterminate bone fragment or two in these fake skulls, but I don't even see that here.

 

The brittle stars are carved fakes.

  • I Agree 3

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

 

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • New Members
1 hour ago, FossilNerd said:

I agree that none of these are real (except parts of the teeth).  Sometimes you can see an indeterminate bone fragment or two in these fake skulls, but I don't even see that here.

 

The brittle stars are carved fakes.

Thanks you for your reply. Very kind with your answers. 😊

  • Enjoyed 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Here's a hatchery of those croc skulls from the Tuscon show (they make them out of plaster, glue, sand and fragments of real mosasaur teeth):

 

P1300492.thumb.jpg.60ea00e20ade27148ce7cc1e77cb9db1.jpg

Edited by JBkansas
  • Enjoyed 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2024 at 6:04 PM, JBkansas said:

Here's a hatchery of those croc skulls from the Tuscon show (they make them out of plaster, glue, sand and fragments of real mosasaur teeth):

 

P1300492.thumb.jpg.60ea00e20ade27148ce7cc1e77cb9db1.jpg

 

looks like bread :rolleyes:

 

  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry I'm late.

Yeah, horrid, horrid fakes all of'em,

Sand and glue and poor carvings with paint. :shakehead:

  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rocket said:

modern Mosasaur 

 

 

image.jpeg

Looks more like one of these Sphynx cats.

Or my school cafeteria lunch :default_rofl:

  • Enjoyed 2

I like fossils...

Thats all I have to say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2024 at 10:31 AM, Gea said:

Thank you for your reply. Yes, unfortunately here in Spain It seems like there are loads of fake ones.

Not just in Spain.  They are all over the world.  

  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...