Removal of Nothosaurus tooth from matrix

Othniel C. Marsh

I am considering purchasing the Nothosaurus tooth shown below and removing it from the matrix with a Dremel. How should I approach this, if to do so is possible?

nothosaurus-tooth-in-matrix-germany.-(2)-434-p.thumb.jpg.30119d07ef9d969a57dfa279ffe9adb1.jpg

Thanks in advance for any guidance
Othniel

First tell us what tools you have available, then we'll see what is to be done. One would also need to first know how stable or delicate the tooth is.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

It also helps us to know how hard the rock is and how the rock separates form the fossil.  

One could also say it looks great in matrix.  

49 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

First tell us what tools you have available, then we'll see what is to be done. One would also need to first know how stable or delicate the tooth is.

At my disposal I have a Dremel engraver, with a short tip, a long tip, and a chisel tip. I also have a hammer and a chisel, but I'm not sure if they'd be of use.

40 minutes ago, jpc said:

It also helps us to know how hard the rock is and how the rock separates form the fossil.  

One could also say it looks great in matrix.

The specimen is from the Muschelkalk, so the rock will either be limestone or dolomite, the former being much more likely. Limestone is, insofar as my understanding goes, very soft, at least by the standards of a rock. Exactly how the rock separates from the fossil is something I cannot determine without purchasing the fossil and using the engraver on it, which would mean I wouldn't be able to return it, and given the price of the specimen I'd like to know if my bid to remove it from the matrix will be fruitful beforehand.

9 minutes ago, Othniel C. Marsh said:

At my disposal I have a Dremel engraver, with a short tip, a long tip, and a chisel tip. I also have a hammer and a chisel, but I'm not sure if they'd be of use.

The specimen is from the Muschelkalk, so the rock will either be limestone or dolomite, the former being much more likely. Limestone is, insofar as my understanding goes, very soft, at least by the standards of a rock. Exactly how the rock separates from the fossil is something I cannot determine without purchasing the fossil and using the engraver on it, which would mean I wouldn't be able to return it, and given the price of the specimen I'd like to know if my bid to remove it from the matrix will be fruitful beforehand.

I hate to tell you this, but Muschelkalk limestone can be extremely hard. It might work, it might not, particularly if the tooth is delicate. In my opinion, any way you look at it you're taking a chance. On the other hand, if you don't take any risks in life, then there's no development.

Too hard to be removed with a Dremel engraver?

13 minutes ago, Othniel C. Marsh said:

Too hard to be removed with a Dremel engraver?

I just told you, it can be hard, but I can't judge the hardness of this particular specimen just from a few photos. In the end it's up to you whether you want to take a chance or not.

59 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I just told you, it can be hard, but I can't judge the hardness of this particular specimen just from a few photos. In the end it's up to you whether you want to take a chance or not.

Ah I see. Your help is much appreciated, @Ludwigia and @jpc.

• Thank You 1

indeed, limestone can be both softish and very hard.  

I still think it looks good in matrix.  : )

Having just made the jump from my trusty Dremel to an air-scribe, I would advise against trying to fully remove the tooth. Even if the rock is relatively soft it's very likely the tooth will get damaged once it loses the support of the matrix. It could be done, but I think it wouldn't be worth the risk and the time.