Possible Fossil Bone (Kimmeridgian)?

Cortinarius

Posted (edited)

I wondered if anyone might be kind enough to guide me with these finds?

I feel a little foolish, but I’m wondering if I’ve finally found some examples of fossil bone? (I’m studying hard, but still very green at all this!) 

No 1 is quite tiny, only 2.5cm (1 inch) long. From the Helmsdale Boulder Beds in Scotland, which are Kimmeridgian, and are marine in origin (but there’s also land material there, such as abundant wood - its thought there was a fault scarp just off shore that collected material). I just found it amongst shingle, somehow. 

No 2 is still in matrix, about 2.5 x 7cm (1 x 3 inches) and from the Kintradwell Boulder Beds, Scotland. Also Kimmeridgian and very similar to Helmsdale. I saw a forum user’s post of a piece of ichthyosaur rostrum and thought it maybe had some similar features, with size, texture and the almond-shaped tiny ‘divots’ (where blood vessels would’ve gone into the bone?).

Many thanks for any help received!

IMG_1578.jpeg

IMG_0136.png

IMG_0137.png

IMG_0135.png

IMG_0142.png

IMG_0206.jpeg

IMG_0214.jpeg

IMG_1577.jpeg

IMG_7059.jpeg

IMG_7060.jpeg

IMG_1324.jpeg

IMG_1327.jpeg

IMG_1330.jpeg

IMG_1337.jpeg

IMG_1338.jpeg

Edited by Cortinarius
Added a poor quality photo in error
  • Enjoyed 1

I think these both look like bone fragments. I doubt either of them can be confidently identified further though. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

They both look like bone fragments. I don't see anything diagnostic though to confirm animal type but likely marine reptile. Nice finds.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I think these both look like bone fragments. I doubt either of them can be confidently identified further though. 

Thank you so much! That’s incredibly helpful, and I really appreciate the reply. I’ll keep looking with a bit more confidence for bone textures now. 

• Enjoyed 1

4 hours ago, blackdanter said:

They both look like bone fragments. I don't see anything diagnostic though to confirm animal type but likely marine reptile. Nice finds.

I really appreciate your time and help - thank you! I’m so grateful folks such as yourself, who are so willing to share your hard-won knowledge.

That’s given me a bit more confidence in recognising what I’m seeing out there. 

• Enjoyed 1