Found on the shores of Lake Ontario

TebanB

• New Members

My son found this on the shore of Presqu’ile Provincial Park.  Is this a fossilized sea snail? 

FullSizeRender.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Indeed it is a steinkern of a gastropod. It looks like a match for Hormotoma trentonensis, and places it in the Ordovician. 

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Agreed, although I believe the species was revised and renamed Omospira trentonensis.

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

19 minutes ago, Kane said:

Indeed it is a steinkern of a gastropod. It looks like a match for Hormotoma trentonensis, and places it in the Ordovician. 

How does a steinkern do this much work? I thought it was pretty much you've seen one you've seen them all. 

In the Ordovician of Ontario, gastros are almost always steinkerns, so we differentiate them by shape.

38 minutes ago, Kane said:

In the Ordovician of Ontario, gastros are almost always steinkerns, so we differentiate them by shape.

Still seems a bit sketchy for a species designation to me. 

That's just the way it is. 

I guess it is common practice to name things even if only for the sake of reference.  

34 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I guess it is common practice to name things even if only for the sake of reference.  

Barring a few miracles, such as finding more gastropods in our Ordovician deposits with shell material and/or a sudden flush of research funding, we may be stuck with what we have. :( That said, it does seem a lot of our species differentiation based on shape (whorls, turret height, etc.) seems to work so far. As you say, a kind of reference point. 

• New Members

Thank you so much for all the information, both my 8 year old and I are astounded by the possible age of our find!