Need help identifying fossils

Kristi Waters

• New Members

Hi I apologize in advance if I’m in the wrong place as I’m seeking any information regarding several fossils I have stumbled across in Arizona near the Colorado River.

These fossils however are located high on top of a mountain. I sent photos a while back to the Grand Canyon paleontologist who identified them as being from the Cambrian Period.

I have since found many other interesting fossils with one looking much like the claw of a prehistoric animal.

Many of my fossils appear to be rocks that look like they are filled with cement which I’m assuming would be ash from a volcano. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time. 

IMG_8407.jpeg

IMG_8403.jpeg

IMG_8412.jpeg

IMG_8424.jpeg

IMG_8438.jpeg

IMG_8426.jpeg

IMG_8410.jpeg

IMG_8411.jpeg

IMG_8413.jpeg

IMG_8376.jpeg

IMG_8377.jpeg

IMG_8390.jpeg

IMG_8387.jpeg

IMG_8381.jpeg

IMG_7909.jpeg

IMG_7907.jpeg

IMG_7903.jpeg

IMG_7915.jpeg

IMG_7918.jpeg

IMG_7921.jpeg

IMG_7914.jpeg

IMG_7913.jpeg

IMG_8155.jpeg

IMG_8192.jpeg

IMG_8142.jpeg

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Need help identifying fossils

Hi,

You are in the right place to identify your specimens. That said, it is advisable not to put so many photos on a single post. In addition, it would be nice to number your photos as for example A1, A2, B1 etc, A representing a specimen, B another etc...

Arizona is a large state, a more precise location would help with identification as it helps determine stratification, and therefore potential fossils. Measurements in cm or inches also help with good identification.

I can’t distinguish anything that would tell me that you have one or more fossils, but others will arrive and complete my answer.

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I'm seeing what might be fossilized inclusions, maybe coral for instance, in photos number 10, 11, 13, 14, 15 & 16, but we would need the information that Coco is asking for in order to get more definite.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Your rocks look like limestone with chert. Pool acid should cause the limestone to fizz and a metal blade will scratch the limestone. The chert will not fizz in acid or be scratched with a metal blade. 

Assuming all rocks are from the same formation; they are probably from the Permian Kaibab Limestone. I think that I see the common sponge, Actinocoelia maeandrina and a branching bryozoan.

IMG_0851.png

IMG_0852.png

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Welcome to the forum! As Coco said, size and numbering your items can help tremendously with getting your items identified. 

That said, this photo also looks to me to show fossil material, but marine fossils aren't my area of expertise, so I would defer to others to confirm or rule out an ID.

Screenshot_20240524-070947.png